Freight Rates & Areas?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Mr Win Big, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Mr Win Big

Mr Win Big Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    DFW Texas
    As owner operators, what are you guys seeing as the good, bad and the ugly as freight rates and areas right now? Where do you send your trucks, what kind of pricing are you getting and where do you stay away from? I just want to compare and see whats our there, this is what i see:

Texas and Florida: Way more trucks than loads, easy to find loads in state but hard to find loads leaving the state, maybe $1.00 per mile, every now and then $1.25 if you get lucky

Georgia: Devils play ground, .80 per mile is the normal. I got a quote yesterday for 650 miles paying $363! Thats .53 a mile, unreal!

North east: You can find a load, but rates are low as well, tollls suck and small streets

Midwest: Good rates, considering the market, but the weather sucks

California: Ok rates, good miles on the loads since they are so far out but the DOT and Regulators are natzis and the speed limits suck.

North West: Havent seen anything over $1.00 per mile

Moutain States: Really hit or miss, might get a good load, might not. Might have to dead head 300 miles or might pick up down the street, u never know.

New Mexico: Valley of dry bones

Arizona: Hit or miss as well

All of these scenarios are based on broker freight and load boards, a day in the life of a typical o/o

Let us know what you guys are seeing out there so we can help steer each other in the right direction

Gods Blessings
    Win Big

Baack and 1pissedoffdriver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dispatcher/VP baby!

Dispatcher/VP baby! Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Manassas, VA
    This being my 2nd year as a dispatcher looking for freight for my driver. I must say these are the worst of times to be looking for loads, Since we live in the big dirty, my suggestion and what im going to tell my driver is to drive up and down 95 till spring comes. Cause if you think your going west and coming back happy, you having something else coming. The west is dead, texas is dead. The only places worth going right now is the Illionise, Indiana area and up and down 95.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  4. Mr Win Big

Mr Win Big Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    DFW Texas
    what kind of miles and rates are u seeing up and down 95? Are u just running florida to NE and back or what?

5. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    Potatos out of North Dakota are pay $2.00/mile right now, but freight going in is somewhat limited - cuz everyone wants in on that action.

I think it's a good time to have a reefer. Glad I don't own a skate or drybox right now..

6. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Bad thing is, this is common knowledge that is known by all the brokers and the business savvy shippers. They know why you want to get to certain otherwise obscure areas at certain times of the year. They take advantage of their knowledge just like the savvy owner operators do.

Try getting a broker load to Florida during potatoe and melon seasons. Rates mysteriously drop 50% inbound to Florida almost overnight when spuds and melons start moving outbound. That is through the large cut-rate brokers anyhow.

7. Eskimo6804

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    I was cashing out at 2.45 per mile plus fuel for 45k of spuds(paid by weight) from Florida to Binghampton,NY last spring. I am curious to see what those Frito loads are going to pay this year.

8. Winchester Magnum

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    I wouldnt know. I have never once ever used a broker to get into Florida. However, I've no doubt about the broker rates dropping on Fl freight, especially durring springtime.

I becomes a supply/demand issue. Brokers are competing with other brokers for that Florida freight. The rate drops only from a supply and demand point, not cuz they (majority of brokers) are trying to dick the trucker.

This is called capitolism, though many truckers don't seem to agknowledge it.

9. Eskimo6804

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    I agree with you completely. I was just making the point that for those who use brokers as a major part of their business model; it will all even out and come back to the averages due to exactly what you described.

I also did not have to use brokers too much, and when I did take the loads to Binghampton, I would get a good paying broker load back to Chicago or another location where I could get good paying, direct shipper frieght to Florida.

10. Winchester Magnum

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    $2.45 comming out was sweet, but of course fuel was double what it is now.

Were these spuds bulk on the floor, or in totes?.

(either way, by the hundred weight and you only took 45,000??.......grin!!!)

11. Eskimo6804

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Bulk on the floor going to Frito Lay...they paid fuel surcharge on top of that 2.45. was between .35-.40 last year for fuel. When spuds dried up in north Florida, I started hauling bin watermelons from south Georgia to Michigan for 2.25 plus fuel. Now that there was my gravy. I could deadhead to Chicago area and get 2.50 plus back to Atlanta. Too bad that stuff is seasonal huh?LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.