freight suks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gitrdone5782, Nov 16, 2008.

1. gitrdone5782

gitrdone5782 Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Lima Ohio
    wheres all the good flatbed freight

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    being hauled by all the cheap sob's out there cuttin rates just so they have something to do

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Extremely soft in what was once considered prime lanes.

Same as it is at every level of trucking. I spoke with one of our O/O the other day. He was seriously considering moving back to van, for the freight.

We're next. You guys usually take the first major hit. As you do a lot of raw materials movement.

If that slows even further. We'll slow further. It just takes a few weeks longer for it to affect vans.

Anybody see the bottom yet?

5. d-man57

d-man57 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Indiana
    The economy sucks right now. Lots of trucks sitting, flats and vans. About the time the rates came up to cover the fuel, the fuel price dropped and so did the rates. Yeah, where did that that money go? To many big company's hauling cheap freight right now. My truck has been sitting more here lately, I'm not going to wear it out beating down the road for nothing. I'm still getting good loads out but the return trips have been challenging to get a decent paying load. One would think no one would cover a 80 cent a mile load, but they're doing it. When will it hit bottom? I don't know, but it's picking up speed.

6. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I'll let you in on one of those big "secrets".

Most of the larger companies get as high as a .60 (or more) per gallon discount on fuel. It reads the same at the pump....but not the same on their billing statement.

I know this for a fact.

AND, they still retain the fuel surcharge to the shippers/receivers, for the full cost of the fuel.

Even with a surcharge of .10 per mile. This means they get an average discount of $1.20 per gallon, if the truck averages 6 mpg.

They have enough trucks, that profit margins can be as low as .005 per mile. And they still make money. Not as much...but they still make money.

So, yes they can afford to pull it MUCH cheaper than an O/O.

7. d-man57

d-man57 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Indiana
    Yeah, you're right. Still, they dictate the market and flat stick it to the small guy. I can let it sit till something good comes up, but i know of guys that are basically running down the road for nothing because they have to. It's going to get a lot worse when automotive runs start shutting down.

8. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Me too, and I hate seeing the O/O sit.

I may be a company driver. But my roots are in small mom and pop outfits that owned 4-10 trucks. I hate seeing these guys go down. Because once they do...it's over for everyone.

I fully expect companies to set pay scales lower than what they are now. And offer jobs at a take it or leave rate of pay.

9. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I am currently looking for work in the local sector,........and those that are even taking apps barely offer any kind of living wage...

10. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Walleye...shame on you. You've been doing this long enough you should know better LOL.

The majority of local jobs...always pay chicken feed. There are exceptions. But new breed wants to start at the top....

Leaving us old guys out on the road.

11. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Well most all of the otr company's I have talked to pay the same chicken feed,...So I think I'll be ahead to try to stay home....

Besides,..I really hate having to live in a truck,..and I was only ever out 6 days....lol....I got spoiled in my last job,..12 years local with 4 day work weeks,..(three day weekends)..hourly pay with ot.......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.