Freightliner Cascadia vs Volvo VNL670

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by 1doubledouble1, Nov 10, 2016.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Only thing with KW/Pete is that you are pretty much stuck with the Cummins for anything above 5 axles. Everyone I talk to says the Paccar engine is just too gutless for heavy haul.

cumminskid123 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    I think that has to do with when they come out of the factory there not dynoed. My truck is a slug and always has been compared to our other kenworths but the one I'm in now just had a new motor put in and it pulls like a freight train.

4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Cummins had 2 different governor settings. One apparently makes them turn the planet, while the other one castrates them back.

5. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Put down the pipe when your talking like that. I'll buy a t800 or w900 any day before these areo trucks for one reason. They are built better. The old fashioned way may be less aerodynamic but when working in extreme areas and temperatures I'll take old reliable technology before plastic bolted to more plastic like and aero truck. The reason these trucks have not left the market is that there are still many that think this way as well. Because truth be told. Some of us would not be caught dead driving plastic bubble wanna be trucks

cumminskid123, nate980 and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I would not give you 10 cents for a KW 660. Like living in a broom closet. No storage for anything. Probably the least ergonomic truck on the road. You need a football field to turn around. And even the new KW's and Peterbilts have a lot of plastic. Just trying to get from the front seat to the bunk is a chore.

7. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    I own a 2010 670. My first. D13 with an I-Shift. Another first. No complaints from me. I've had F'Liners, KW's, 'Binders, I even owned a SCOT !!

Funny no one has mentioned Cascadia windshield leaks yet ? Notice on the new model it FINALLY has a solid pane of glass ??

8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How was the Scot? I heard they were a well built truck back in the day.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  9. cumminskid123

cumminskid123 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Manitoba, Canada
    Cummins ISX governor settings are variable governor which makes the accelerator react more like an old CAT, and automotive governor which I can only describe feels like the accelerator pedal feels like an ON/OFF switch. From factory, they're all set to automotive governor.
    You should brush your teeth, it seems like you have a bit of sourness in your mouth lol, all kidding aside, truck is a truck, they're all different, same goes for engines, its been established that things aren't built like they used to be... I agree with NorthernMechanic, when it comes to extreme conditions, I would stick to the old school work horse, for comfort on the highway, I would hands down sit my ##* in a Volvo, as my username depicts, i'm a cummins believer, yes i'm aware of they're issues lol, I fix them on a daily basis, but like anything, preventative maintenance and some love can make it last longer, but everyone needs to clue in that no matter what in the world you drive, everything and anything can fail at one point or another. That being said, having your emission system "removed", if done properly, no one could tell, it isn't a crime per say if its all still there lol, smoke in mirrors ;-) I can't really say what truck or engine is better, it all depends on the intended use of the unit, if its dry van and highway driving I would get some 13L engine thats nice and quiet, still has plenty of power and does good on fuel(Volvo D13 in a 780), my work horse would be a sexy Peterbilt 379 with a signature ISX(before EGR) or N14 Celect red top, tuned to my liking.
    P.S. theres no need to get at each others throats, these are all just opinions and preferences :)

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Actually, Irving kinda hijacked other makes for the SCOT. Why re-invent the wheel ? But I found the SCOT to be pretty tough. I had a company COE and my own conventional. The HD SCOT were great mine and rock trucks. I would have LOVED to have had a SCOT of my own hauling round wood. Many SCOT's survived as fire trucks over the years from coast to coast .......

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's kind of what Challenger did for their trucks in BC. Its hard to find really anything on the web about Scot trucks.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.