Freightliner Century 07 DD60 with Meritor 10 speed.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by izifaddag, Jul 13, 2018.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Help.
    Stuck under a load in Alexandria, LA.
    Towed to a shop.
    The gear box won't shift from low range to high range.
    So far the mechanic has mistakenly diagnosed the actual switch on the gear lever and the electric over air solenoids. He found a bunch of wires that had become exposed due to the rubber bracket they were passing through disintegrating. This allowed the wires to short if they wanted to. Whether they did or not we can't say. They have been repaired and still the same.

What I want to know is the operating chain of events. That is to say when the switch is flipped to change range does it go directly to the main ECM which then in turn sends the actuating high to the solenoid.

I suspect that the trigger voltage for the solenoids comes directly from the ECM. It sends that high activation if all other conditions have been met. Likewise I think the wires from the switch on the gear lever also go directly to the ECM.
    So the question is - if the above is true - what other conditions need to be met before the ECM will give a high.
    OR
    Maybe the exposed wires shorted and killed the ECM.

Anybody know anything about this?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    If you are talking about a manual shift transmission, I do not believe there is an ecm.

Possibly in addition to all the corrosion, the paddle may be broken.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Yea if that's a manual, no ecm involved.
    9,13, or 10 speed?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    10. It's hidden in the title of the thread.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Wires running up to shifter knob: green=12v+ switched orange=12v+switched black=ground white=12v+ from neutral switch on top of transmission. The usual culprit is the missing 12v from neutral switch. It is only a 2 pin switch. 12v going in from truck, 12v coming out to shifter knob.meritor eoa diagnostics.pdf

Attached Files:

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Lol. Yea I see that now.

Could be the gearbox itself too, truck that age.

I drove one like that for local deliveries that had 1.3 million on it.

Called it "The Thing".

Not one straight body part on it anywhere.

Rebuilt 60 / 13 speed.

Would pass a level 1.

Some kid took it to Flagstaff for a shuttle run once.

When I drove it Monday morning, I said something is up with the tranny.

Just shut up and do your deliveries Dave.

So about 4 months ago when I'm getting a PM, there's the The Thing up on ramps.

I ask, "What's up with The Thing? "

" Getting tranny rebuilt."

x1Heavy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    so the funny thing with this type of transmission i had this problem 2 weeks ago and put 3 different knobs on which was the actual problem all of them worked in the matter of the first two range shifts and they took a dump after that, so the new parts for this are horrible finally opened up one of the knobs and bypassed the flyback voltage cpu in the actual knob itself and it is working like a charm ever since then. so dont be suprised if you get a bad new part, check if you can shift by jumping the wires by the knob if you can do this then the knob is bad usually there is no power that comes to this usually unless the trans its in neutral via the neutral switch.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Yes the ECM is involved but not as I originally thought.
    Voltage (12v) is supplied to the switch block on the gear lever and the solenoids from the ignition and accessory relays. These relays are in turn triggered by the ECM - there is no direct connection to the ECM.
    The mechanic seems to have basically given up.
    I am stranded in their yard and have been for 7 days today. The manager takes a half day on friday, so no pressure !!!
    I have a loaded trailer dropped in a neighboring secure yard. The load should have delivered last monday morning in Hammond, IN.
    The truck is a little bit pulled apart and we do indeed have a brand new gear lever switch assembly. They were going to return it but I said I would take it. The old one on close inspection had wires that had seen better days. It couldn't hurt. We also have brand new solenoids.
    No voltage is coming to the solenoids.
    I am told by F/L that it comes from the relay and I have a bad harness.
    What harness?
    No idea.
    The harness that runs up the gear stick?? There is nothing wrong with it.More like there is bad wiring under the truck somewhere.
    I am so out of ideas that I feel sick. Nobody is helping with the loaded trailer. I can't rent a truck. Nobody has one - I checked EVERYWHERE.
    The broker, CHR, just keeps wanting to know what is going on. They have been told over and over that I am shipwrecked.
    I am hoping the customer will send a truck to grab my trailer and return to their location - 40 miles away - they can at least unload their product so that will be out of the equation.
    My truck is over a million miles but was fine until this happened. I don't have a spare $160,000 hanging around so buying a new one is out of the question.
    I think this may be the end of my OO career.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Too bad your not in Phoenix. The guy that works on mine is a wizard with those.

11. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    where r u at and give me a call so i can walk you thru it there is some one missing something over here there should not be anything else besides a fuse someone is making this very complicated when it is actually a very simple sysytme 630-6078889 call me or have one of the mechanics do that so i can walk them thru it.

jsnell, Dave_in_AZ and izifaddag Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.