Freightliner Detroit 12.7 check valve

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Stray_Dog, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Stray_Dog

Stray_Dog Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2021
    I've got a 2004 Freightliner Columbia I'm working on for a friend and we believe the check valve on the rear of the head is bad. It's losing prime over night, typical problem for these engines.

This truck is a glider with a DDEC3 12.7

My question is, what's the best way to get access back there to get to the check valve? It's gonna be a major pita to get to.

Any suggestions?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Medium Load Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Do you have a handy 5 year old relitive you can "borrow" with bribes of icecream? Thats how my uncle used to get into tight places. He would give us a wrench and hold us by our waist to unscrew stuff behind the engine for him with our tiny hands.

4. Stray_Dog

Mar 7, 2021
    Hah that's funny, but true!

Unfortunately I ain't got any of those handy right now. I sure wish I did though.

At this point we may pull the valve cover off and maybe that will gain us a little bit of clearance. We'll see!

5. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    also check the check valve on the fuel bowl. Often the spring/ping pong ball will get coated in soot and not seal correctly.

blairandgretchen and Stray_Dog Thank this.
  6. Stray_Dog

Mar 7, 2021
    Good point. You're right about that. I started with the Davco filter base and rebuilt it. I replaced the check valve you are talking about. Before I did that, the fuel bowl would lose its fuel level after 2 or 3 days of setting. Now that I replaced that valve it does keep the level in it now.

It's just becoming increasingly hard to start after setting a day and I've traced it down to the check valve on the head (hopefully).

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I use to pull the drivers side rear fender assembly if no skirts or pull skirt and splash shield. Turn steer tire hard to the right snd shimmy in between it snd frame. Can also use a scissor Jack and pull front cab mount to gain access. It fun for sure

8. Stray_Dog

Mar 7, 2021
    I appreciate that.

This thing does have the full skirting so that definitely sucks.

9. MLC Adventures

MLC Adventures Light Load Member

May 2, 2021
    Pull the valve cover, and Jake's. Lay something over the rockers and lay down with your legs over the radiator. Sucks, but not really a big deal.

spsauerland and Stray_Dog Thank this.
  10. Stray_Dog

Mar 7, 2021
    That's what I was honestly considering doing but before I did I was hoping someone would have an easier way lol

11. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019

Unhook the air ride leveling valve for the cab \ sleeper, Jack up a couple of inches.
    Throw a piece of plywood across frame rails, crawl in.

That's what I did, but I'm skinny.

spsauerland and Stray_Dog Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted