Freightliner fan went thru the radiator!

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by rolls canardly, Apr 2, 2017.

1. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Rolls Canardly here,
    Got to feeling strange vibration driving in the truck; pulled over to check the Drive shafts,
    and universals, and carrier bearing. Everything looked good.
    I had a strange feeling that maybe a rag or piece of cloth or something got picked up on driveshaft.
    Started truck after checking, and still had a vibration without going down the road? WTF?
    Just about to switch off key - and Kaboom, I Hear terrible smashing sound and steam from under hood.
    So the fan must have thrown a plastic blade, and was so out of balance that the cast iron mount
    for the pulley and fan clutch broke off. Got that fixed and a new belt on it now.
    Got a new radiator coming from Hartford, Conneticut tomorrow.
    So I'm a couch potato until then.
    Found this $690.00 radiator that was a new takeoff for $200.00 - and a mechanic buddy of mine
    happened to be going to Mass. COPART to pick up a car, so is going right near there, and will bring it home.
    The Old guy used to say, "Cheer up; it'll get worse."

passingthru69 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Fan hubs are fairly stout. I don't think loosing a blade did that. Most likely a bearing failure.

Dave_in_AZ and Hammer166 Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I had a wobbly fan once a couple years ago...found it because it was shaking the water pump loose and I was losing coolant. Hub bearings were shot, so I pulled the fan off (hub and all), snugged up the water pump bolts again, topped off the coolant, and headed to Mack for a new hub. The air hubs were stupid expensive, so I swapped it out for a viscous one that was much cheaper. Pinched off the air line, and it's been running just fine ever since.

Last thing I wanted to have happen is what happened to you. I'd JUST put a new radiator in the truck...

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How many miles on engine?

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Like mentioned above. Probably worn out fan hub bearings. When I worked in the truck shops I always made a habit of checking the fan hubs. Trouble is most trucks lock the clutch up once the truck is turned off, which takes up the bearing play in most cases.

passingthru69 and Ooops Thank this.
  7. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    If the clutch is locked then what is the proper way to check it?

8. rolls canardly

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    The bearings were not bad or loose; thats what I also thought happened. First thing I checked.
    The casting from Horton (#992000) has two bosses on top, with bolt holes clearance drilled thru,
    and small single web on bottom - so they are cast together. Its a cast iron casting.
    They put in lathe, bolted to a faceplate, and turn the center hub shaft that mounts the double bearings.
    I have an internal bearing puller that is like a body shop slide hammer, and took both out to check them.
    New hub is over $600.00 - got one in engine export company near me for $100.00.
    Unit had penciled in crayon 96,000 miles - but that could be creative writing.
    Bearings were tighter than mine, so it is possible. Just need the radiator now.
    pix is the fan projectile that was turning at 1000 RPM when it went into radiator.

Makes me want to cut out a piece of expanded metal screen - I have some thats 1/4" thick - and make a bulletproof radiator guard between new fan and new radiator.

There - break that.

Attached Files:

RollingRecaps Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    You're probably gonna need to replace that.

rolls canardly Thanks this.
  10. rolls canardly

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Not a JB weld job?

Ooops Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Master JB WELDERS might pull it off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.