Freightliner rear alignment/ hardware

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm putting the rears back under my truck now and I just had a question.

I did buy new nuts and bolts but I did not buy new wear pads. Do they normally replace bolts nuts and wear pads along with adding shins?

Or do I buy new wear pads and they just replace the shims and the lock nuts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I replace bolts only if they were heavily seized and had to be heated/torched out. New nuts if they no longer have any locking threads left. Never had to replace the wear pads, if you are talking about the steel side thrust plates. Make sure to use anti-seize on those bolts. The next guy will thank you.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Those bolts had been in there for so long I had a hell of a time getting them out.

The bushings themselves were worn so badly that the center part that bolts up to the hanger was completely separated off the rubber on three of out of four. It's hard to believe those guys let it go that far.

That's great to know about the wear pads because I'll put everything back and they can take care of the shims when they align it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.