Freightliners in the shop, I need a rental

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Chef$$$, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Chef$$$

Chef$$$ Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2021
    I’ve never rented a truck before and I just want to know how it works and who I should rent one from around LA or Bakersfield? For like two weeks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Ask delta lol

Chef$$$ Thanks this.
  4. Chef$$$

Chef$$$ Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Dang Delta does everything lol thanks

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  5. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I have in the past but it was covered by warranty
    I’m not sure by the time you cover rent and mileage that it’s even worth it
    Only way I’d rent out of pocket would be for a customer of mine to cover the work

They’re pretty hard to find with all the breakdowns

That said
    I got mine from a Peterbilt dealer

This is that rainy day
    Take a vacation

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve rented from Penske. About 13 yrs ago. Afterwards they stopped renting to 1 Truck Operators. Don’t know about now. Them and Ryder are the only ones I know of.

Chef$$$ Thanks this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Rentals are in short supply just like everything else.

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Penske rents to owner ops/sole props. I have an open account with them as we speak. Ryder only rents to corporations.

Chef$$$ Thanks this.
  9. Truck N' Roll

Truck N' Roll Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2021
    Your odds are better of actually finding a Leprechaun's pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than finding a rental truck within a 500 mile radius of Bakersfield right now. I have been looking for a tractor or 26' box for two months already!

10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Nearly all rental companies require an account be set up in advance, and that can take several days to do. Penske is the only exception I've seen. They'll put you in a truck as long as you have a credit card that can take a $5,000 deposit and weekly settlement on the rental. If you're leased to a carrier, you would have to rent through them, since the carrier will also have to insure the rental truck. This being the case, hopefully your carrier has accounts already established in order to streamline the process.

If you have carrier authority, the time to set up rental accounts is when you don't need one. Best to set up at least one national company like Penske, and one or two backup companies that may just serve a region. Then when you need a truck, you're all set.

What others have already said about no rentals available is true. I needed one a few months ago. Penske was cleared out. They did have a few units reserved for breakdown replacements on their full service leases, but nada for rent. I got lucky and MHC had a lease turn in they hadn't even peeled the stickers off of yet, and I grabbed it. A few months prior, I needed one and Penske only had a day cab available. I ended up spending the savings on motels for the driver for a week. It solved the problem, just not the ideal way with a sleeper truck.

My advice is: check with the smaller outfits and be open to take whatever they have. I am certain the low or no availability I've seen twice in the past year have only gotten worse.

ProfessionalNoticer and Jamie113 Thank this.
  11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    A couple months ago when I set up with Penske they changed that 5k deposit to 10k. A credit card can be used for it which helps but doubling it just shows the current market conditions crystal clear.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.