Fresh Meat at GTI

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Palazon, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Yeah, I'm a bit hostile on this one....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheOpenRoad

TheOpenRoad Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I've never heard of a company pulling this while the driver is on regular home time for only a day or two.

The recruiter emailed me last week and I was getting ready to send my papers in.

I was recently offered a position with a brokerage firm doing operations and I'll just go with that. Of course, being a driver, I know how to treat other drivers with respect. Hope it all works out for you.

Palazon Thanks this.
  4. coldhardsteel

coldhardsteel Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Modesto, ca

How long did you go home for if it was more than "two days" you are suppose clear out your truck, it is company policy. "check driver reference manual under home time." More than two they will loan it out but they wont loan it out, if it was in shop status and tell your d.m. that it was going in the shop.

5. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    1st, I was home for 2 days, called in for a load; none available. Called in next day, truck loaned but "it'll be back this afternoon". Called in the afternoon, got a load for next day. Called to verify load in the morning (they thought they might want me for a different one), truck now in shop status, no loaner available. Short version, I was scheduled home for 2 days.

2nd, borrowing driver took all my stuff and shoved it under the bunk. I'll have to go thru it make sure it's there and not damaged. My cooler switch is broken already.

3rd, my truck was just in the shop for a day and a half, no meantion of needed service. No sticker saying when service is due. No qcomm stating when service is due. Truck was issued to me 3 weeks ago, why wasn't it serviced 1st? Oh and they put it in the shop, not I. If I had done so, I would have put it in before starting hometime and cleared out my food. This ain't my 1st rodeo....

Head of the division completely agrees with me, has issued 2 days detention pay and promised to pay for damages to my equipment.

6. coldhardsteel

coldhardsteel Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Modesto, ca
    #3 if you did not have a sticker, why didn't you ask the shop or call o.t.r? you could've ask they won't service until you're with 1500 miles of being due. you didn't ask so your at fault

7. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I did ask the shop when the truck was issued. No mileage given, but "not for a while, it was recently serviced" was the response. Guess he didn't look it up correctly AND I should have asked for the mileage it was due at. So I'll bite that one.:biggrin_25514: Funny how it didn't need service when it was loaned...... :biggrin_25510:

But here is a question: If we mark our current mileage at every unloaded call and the shop marks when our services are due by mileage, why doesn't the qcomm send a message when a truck is due for service? Seems a pretty simple way of communication to me and the driver and DM could actually schedule the maintenance. Other companies I've seen do this. I've also never seen a company take away a truck without notification to the driver for "service". Corrective action on a failed inspection, yes, but not for a service.

For future ref, however I'll keep the due milages on a 5x7 on the visor.:biggrin_25526:

8. MaxFr8

MaxFr8 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I'm a newbie, haven't gone to school yet. Sounds like you started with Swift then went GTI? On paper, GTI looks like a good company to start with. Eventually, I'd like to get into dedicated or regional driving to get home more often (after my first year - 1 1/2 yrs). Seems GTI is positioned for this. I live in Portland, OR. What do you think of my plan? Would you stay out of Swift's school plan?

9. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I would avoid Swifts school. I had the option of private training. That said, you do what you must according to your finacial options. Be careful tho, GTI only accepts certain schools. Otherwise the plan sounds good.

10. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Off on a Kommifornia run today.... 2 days to do 900 miles. Easy run.

Hope to set up my XM antenna to a better location today. I have the wand style antenna from a couple of years back, which mounts to a mirror bracket. Unfortunately on the Cascaida, there is no mirror bracket. I have found a metal plate that (once I punch a couple of holes in it) will allow me to put it at the CB antenna mount. I'm also considering placing it at the rear of the cab up top, if the cord is long enough. Also installing my laptop stand. No holes in truck for either install (before someone starts yelling).

As soon as I get all this done, the truck will breakdown of course....:biggrin_2559:

11. golfnut1103

golfnut1103 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    Palazon, what is your overall feelings so far about Gordon? What are you getting for miles on a weekly basis? I currently drive for Stevens, but I'm looking to make a change to a company closer to home. I live in Portland. Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.