Fresh out of the penitentiary

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by big_rig_ambition, Sep 25, 2011.

1. big_rig_ambition

big_rig_ambition Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    hello everyone, this is my first post.

i have a felony drug conviction from 2010, and a dwi from 2004 :/

I am looking for advice from some people who may have been in my situation at some point in the past. I have made up my mind to become a truck driver and am wanting to know the most effective route to take in order to get there.

I am in little rock, and the Diesel Driving Academy here has an attractive 5 month program and a 99% job placement rate that I feel would prepare me and make me employable in spite of a felony conviction that i picked up last year. i have been shooting out e-mails and applications to the usual suspects (jbhunt, stevens, werner, swift, heartland, HDS and a couple of other small timers) explaining my situation and looking for a chance to prove myself in this industry. DDA is requiring me to obtain a pre-hire letter before they will enroll me.

is my dream achievable? i am willing to start at the bottom of the food chain and work my way up. if there is anyone on the board that has overcome these obstacles i would like to hear your story.

i understand that being insureable is another hurdle. any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. i am interested in learning the "state of the industry" currently and am gathering as much information as possible so that i can make an informed decision about how to get my CDL.

I was locked up with alot of truckers, and even had a freeworld(c) trucker come and visit us on the unit and told us straight up that it was a solid industry for people who want to get their $#!T together and put their past behind them. this is what i want to do, because the things i was wrapped up in will get me killed eventually...and i have a family to consider.

thanks for reading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. harleymanjax

harleymanjax Rookie Skateboarder

Dec 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Felony drug conviction in 2010?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  4. big_rig_ambition

Sep 25, 2011
    all truck drivers are upstanding pillars of the community?

is the pre-hire requirement from DDA just a polite way of telling me to go eff myself?

5. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Has DDA pre-approved you to go to school? If not, they probably won't. Felonies aren't anything trucking companies want to deal with for quite a few years. Some companies don't hire you if you have a felony no matter the date. It's not about being a pillar of society, it's about pleasing the insurance companies...and they're the ones who won't let you drive a truck with a company.

6. big_rig_ambition

Sep 25, 2011

Jane @ DDA (a recruiter/salesman) told me that because of my felony conviction, a pre-hire letter was required to enroll in the program. i asked her point-blank if she's seen people in my situation succeed in the industry, her response was that initially i might be looking at 12 month contract that might not be as lucrative...to me this is a small price to pay to start earning an honest living.

so i guess my next question is: how much of jane's pitch was smoke and mirrors? if i have to hire on with some back-alley mom and pop outfit for not much money that is fine with me. i don't have any illusions about the obstacles in place here.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. big_rig_ambition

Sep 25, 2011

you make lots of money...would you be interested in putting some of it where your mouth is?

8. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Get every word they say in writing then. Including proof of their hire on percentage. I'd want everything that comes out of her mouth and any recruiter's mouth in writing or it means nothing.

Also, most companies that sponsor your schooling will require a 12 month contract to pay for the tuition of the school. So, if the school "uses" certain companies as their hiring base, it's VERY likely those companies sponsor the school and will also likely require a 12 month contract or they charge you the full tuition cost.

mtnMoma Thanks this.
  9. big_rig_ambition

Sep 25, 2011

this is good advice, i am shooting her an email right now.

10. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    As far as the official schools and the mega outfits, you're probably the in 1%. Sorry man, the combination of those two charges is going to be hard to overcome. You might find something local with a road crew. Start out shoveling asphalt and work your way up into a dump truck. It's getting towards the end of the season for that, though. You'd have better luck next spring.

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Your gonna be climbing a steep hill for a long time to get where you wanna go with that felony. Not trying to be negative on you but it's the truth. I think your gonna be out of breath before you to the top of that hill, but few have made it work. Goodluck to ya.

Bumpy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.