From Day One - Abilene Motor Express (Richmond, Wytheville, VA)

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ScooterDawg, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Scooter D.'s Girl

Scooter D.'s Girl Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NC
    Hi again from North Carolina; yep, I'm still here doing the Speech Therapy gig. I'm not sure when I will be able to go out in the truck with S.D. again but I can hardly wait for the next adventure. Meanwhile, I have started a new thread on the forum called Daily Inspirations from Scooter D.'s Girl. If you get a chance, check it out. Not every quote will apply to all, but maybe it will it help or inspire someone out there on the road. Be safe. S.D.'s Girl

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yorkieman

Yorkieman Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Erie,Pa.
    Just finished talking with Michael, a recruiter I assume at Abilene. Changed my mind about possibly going to work here. .35 a mile, no drop/hook pay, and no orientation pay was all I needed to hear. Guess a big shiny green truck makes up for the .15 a mile more they should be paying. Not whining, just thought other people would want to see what they pay. I searched and could not find any topic on pay scale. Thank you

4. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    Actually, everything you just posted has been discussed on both the Abilene threads numerous times. Sorry you feel this company isn't right for you and think I can speak for all here in wishing you the best.

5. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Well folks, I figure I'd go ahead and tell you now. I'm going to be leaving Abilene on Friday the 24th. Not that I'm all bent out of shape with the company, but I got a really good offer from another company that has been "courting" me for awhile now. More hometime, more cpm, great bene's, and some other things I like.

Any way, i wish you all the best and safe travels

6. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    good deal, start a new thread and keep us occupied.lol.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  7. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Scooterdawg, glad I got a chance to meet you with Johnboy. Sorry you are not staying but totally understand. Hope to see you keep posting and your girlfriend posts too. Enjoyed them. Yours and Johnboys posts convinced me to apply with Abilene, and haven't looked back since.

Best wishes,

George

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  8. wjejwan23

wjejwan23 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Best of luck scooter hope this offer works out in your favor this go round,

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  9. wing_rider

wing_rider Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    All the best to you Scooter!! I'm not a trucker but sure have enjoyed you and JohnBoys post and kinda living the life through you guys. If you feel so inclined please start another thread with the new company so we can still enjoy your writings!!

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  10. boogie1985

boogie1985 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Greensboro nc
    Best wishes to u and your new adventure I have been reading your tread along with John boys since a few months now

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  11. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Thanks, y'all. You know, I really am going to miss Abilene and all of its drivers. Like I said, no hard feelings.... just found a better gig.

As fate would have it, I ended up getting injured Sunday and I am out of commission until next Sunday. Took a pretty nasty fall which resulted in spraining my left ankle and straining the ligaments in my right knee. Now I have had to deal with injuries to one leg or the other, but BOTH at one time kinda stinks. Nothing like having a DOUBLE LIMP hehehehe. Doctor took me out of the truck for a week, and Lisa was standing right there when the Doc made his proclamation, so needless to say, there was no skirting around this. I guess the fact that I am unable to climb up in a truck sorta makes a point as well.

So I guess we're going to be making a group effort to get the truck cleaned out over the next few days, and then running it back up to Wytheville on Sunday.... at least that is the plan right now. Kevin had mentioned that they might send someone for it early, but he wasn't sure. I hate leaving under these circumstances. I have always prided myself on working out a notice throughout my adult life, and keeping my word. Now I am sitting here in my recliner, feeling like an old man. At least I can walk better than I was. But that still isn't saying much.

OK, so the plan is that I am going to be working at Cargo Transporters. 500+ power units with a lot of hi-tech gadgets (yes, e-logs too), good pay, solid freight lanes, and very few brokered loads. Obviously, like many other companies, it may not be a good fit for everyone, but it is for me. As you all know, there have been a few life-changing events that have taken place in my world, and CT fits my "new" needs quite well. Like I said, nothing against Abilene.... but this is all about me now.

Thanks again for all your well wishes, and yes, once I get up and running, I will start a new thread. When I do, I'll post a link from here.

Y'all, please be safe... happy trails

ARF (dang, it even hurts to say "arf" right now)

wing_rider and YardDart Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.