From Day One - Abilene Motor Express (Richmond, Wytheville, VA)

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ScooterDawg, Oct 1, 2012.

1. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Hate to hear that you are leaving Abilene but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope all is well and get well soon.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wjejwan23

wjejwan23 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Scooter I although you decided to leave Abilene I believe you selected a good runner up carrier. CT was my second choice had I not hired on to Abilene. Being that Cargo Transporters is home based out of Claremont, NC I don't see why you wouldnt have excellent home time.

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  4. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
  5. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Slip and fall? Yeah right! It's that new love and all that comes with a new relationship. Wink wink

popcorn169 and YardDart Thank this.
  6. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Hehehe Confucious Say - You Funny Man!!

Actually, I stepped off some steps when I was one step higher than I thought I was (yeah, we've all done that) and my right knee buckled underneath me, causing me to land on the outside of my left foot, bending it up under and spraining the ankle. It didn't help that I smacked the side of my head on the bumper of the car on the way down and then on the concrete when I landed. It was pretty violent. Then when Lisa came out and found me laying there, I had a whole new set of issues to deal with. LOL. I guess all in all, I was pretty lucky to get out of this with as little as I did. But things are much better today. I can walk (limp) unassisted and without having to hold onto anything, so that is progress. I'll be back to doing my Zumba routine in no time.... lol

Yeah, I wish it was "new relationship injuries"... but then again, I'd never tell you hahahahaha

Y'all be safe

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  7. wjejwan23

Dec 27, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    I figured I'd scoop up a load heading down to Miami to take get a break from the northeast and all the snow just to find out there's a snow storm coming out of New Orleans exspecting to hit the southeast Tuesday. I even grabbed a truck wash in NC along the way. Anyways I'll enjoy the 80 degree weather in Miami while I can for a day. Safe travels until next time

8. YardDart

YardDart Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Mustang, ok

Looks like you are dragging winter weather with you where ever you go. But enjoy the 80% im sure it will be short lived.

wjejwan23 Thanks this.
  9. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    UPDATE:

Looks like I am not going to be working for Cargo Transporters after all. They did hire me, and everything was fine and dandy, but when I went to get my DOT physical, the doctor (who I came to find out has a reputation for being a real pain in the fanny) told me that he would not give me a medical card because I was a diabetic (which I am not). My sugar level was up, but well within the DOT guidelines. That by itself was WRONG. there is no reason that he COULD NOT give me a medical card. Come to find out through a little bit of investigation that the Prednisone that I was prescribed for my injuries from the fall, has a notorious habit of highly elevating one's blood sugar level. When I found this out, I talked to the doctor about it, he said that I could come back 3 days later and retest. I said OK and proceeded on with the orientation with Cargo.

On Thursday, I went back in the morning for my re-test, my sugar level was even LOWER than before (only 25 points from normal (129), but the doctor still insisted that he felt I was "New Onset Diabetes" and still refused to give me a card. He told me to go see a doctor and come back in two weeks! Even the people at Cargo could not believe that he would not give me a card..... even a three month card. I explained to him that I could not afford to take two more weeks off, and that I was NOT a diabetic. But this pompous man insisted he knew more about me than I did (even though, other than checking a drop of my blood in a glucose meter) he did absolutely NO LAB WORK. His "note" to Cargo was even worded that it "appears" to be a New Onset. Again, mind you, I was well within the DOT guidelines.

So I went back to Cargo, told them what was going on (to their total disbelief) and we kindly parted ways.

On the way home, I called SD's Girl, and she gave me a powerful pep talk (I was rather resigned), which got me started on another quest. I contacted a trucking company out of Greensboro, they had me stop by later in the day, fill out an application, and hired me on the spot (they did run my reports while I was filling out the application), conditional on me passing a DOT Physical. So the following morning, I got my physical, passed with flying colors, and guess what.... my blood sugar levels were even a few points BELOW what the "normal" levels should be..... so NO, I am NOT a diabetic. And YES, I DID get a two year card. So starting next Wednesday, I will be driving for them.

Pretty cool company. Mileage and pay equivalent with Cargo, home every weekend, pre-plan in place one load ahead, mostly drop and hook, 600 mile radius of the terminal, no NYC, vacation pay, holiday pay, and bonuses galore. Very pleased with the whole set-up.

I guess everything happens for a reason.

Y'all be safe and take care. Keep your eye out for a yellow truck with a driver smiling big-time

Weeble Kneeble and YardDart Thank this.
  10. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Wish you luck on your new adventure. Don't you just love a know it all dr.? Let us know what company it is after you get settled in.

11. wjejwan23

Dec 27, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    well out of Greensboro I thought Epes but they don't have yellow trucks, will have to keep scrambling ,y brain

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.