From tankers(Superior) to ltl p&d (odfl)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by lagging, Jun 10, 2018.

1. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    so coming up on 90 days at my new gig I thought Id do a review. Got my first driving job February 2017 started at Superior Carriers ran otr never was out longer than 9 days mostly 6 days out or less. Work could be a little physical and dirty often.Every driver in the company makes the same regardless of experience which is good for new drivers. Made 59k in exactly one year burned through my 70 almost every week. I had a total of 12 weekends off the whole year 6 if those were in the training period. Did a 34 almost everytime I went to Cincinnati, pedrickstown (philly) or markham (Chicago). Health insurance was 43 a week for single the plan was no copay you got billed afterwards I think I payed a discounted rate until my deductible was meet which was 500 so two doctor visits over a year cost me about $130 each. No vision insurance and dental was ok never used it. Overall I give them a C. March 2018 I started at Old Dominion as a p&d Driver. Been working an average of 53 hrs a week and run linehaul whenever I have no Saturday plans. Will make about 65k this year at the lowest pay rate, probably be close to 80-90k by time I reach top rate. Health insurance is two options for singles free or $10 a week plus about 16 a week for disability vision and dental. So I pay $16 for all the insurances. Home every single night and all my weekends off unless I choose differently. Work is not hard at all I run a route with a lift gate about 60% of the time still easier and cleaner than tankers. So far they get a B if they ever change to paying us ot it might change to an A.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Where are you located and whats the starting pay over at OD? I started at UPGF May 2018 and I'm at 17.20 during my probation. Once I'm dome probation, pay goes up to 17.70. Its 4 year pay progression until top rate, which is almost $29/hr right now. New labor contract will be out in August and they keep saying the pay will be going up. But we run hard. I just put in 70 hrs this week. How do the weeks go by at OD?

Just curious because although UPGF is union, I might be willing to go elsewhere if the pay is higher, benefits are about the same, and the 401k program is good.

4. lagging

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    In Atlanta, 22.70 starting raises every six month, raise every sept. 1 top rate now is 27.85 I believe. 401k is pretty decent if you plan on staying around for a while. My tm doesn’t want anybody to clock over 55 hours. Other terminal city guys say they can Work as much as they like I guess it’s all terminal manager based.

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  5. DuvalKid

DuvalKid Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    I live in Atlanta also, Jonesboro to be exact. I am looking forward to getting on with OD one day hopefully. I am still working on my hazmat endorsement(fingerprinting, background, etc.), but when I obtain it, I will surely put in a app and hope I secure it. LTL or P&D is what I will be applying for. OD will be my last stop in my trucking career.

lagging Thanks this.
  6. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Is that 59 k before tax or after? Do they always bring you back to the terminal after your 6 days or you can stay out?

7. lagging

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    59k before tax I always post before tax figures because everyone’s tax situation is different. And yeah you can stay out pretty much as long as you’d like but the trucks aren’t comfortable enough to make you want to do that

88 Alpha and ulenie Thank this.
  8. greyeagle

greyeagle Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2018

9. lagging

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    Glad to hear. Superior is really decent I would always recommend them to anyone that isn’t interested in ltl work. And when did vision become a part of the package? I just left in feb

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.