Fuel Card(s) for Independent Owner Operators

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 217flatbedr, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    And don't forget that the only company worse in terms of customer service is USPS. Won't go as far as to call it a scam because don't have time to pull data together but sure feels like it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    NASTC Fleetone is the best program for me that I have found. The discounts vary because they are based on the wholesale price of the fuel in the background that varies alot more than the cash price on sign especially when the cost of oil per barrel is dropping rapidly the wholesale price of diesel drops as fast with the cash price on signs dropping slower.

On 11/30/2012, I filled up at the TA in Vero Beach, FL where the pump cash price was $4.099 per gallon and my NASTC price was $3.853 per gallon that was a savings of $0.246 per gallon.

That was just my most recent example of the fuel cost difference and it does vary both directions with as small as around $0.05/gal and as much as $0.32/gal that I have seen. I guess the average would be around $0.10 to $0.12 per gallon.

Well worth the $250 annual membership, one time $50 card set up fee and the $3.75 monthly card fee. I estimate at least an annual savings of around $2500 compared to paying cash for fuel.

It only takes a few clicks on the computer and find the fuel stops along my route for optimium fuel pricing. I usually buy where the pre-tax fuel price is cheapest to come out cheaper in the longer run even sometimes getting an IFTA refund instead of paying.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I might take another look at NASTC if they ever changed to a different fuel card other than Fleetone. Once they told me that they used Fleetone, it was a deal breaker for me.

5. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    But you're limited on how many gallons you can buy.

nofilter Thanks this.
  6. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    When you take your savings, plus your expenses, your 9 mpg truck that would put you at over 185k miles per year. And that is using your high side estimate.

BTW Mr. Wizard, you are only using numbers to support your case. You forgot to mention TA/Petro are $.04-.06 higher on cash price than competition.

7. Southern Flyer

Southern Flyer Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Rockmart, Ga
    I'm not a fan of fleet one at all, We started with nothing and I applied for a Fleet One Card and got approved and began using it, next thing I know the bill came in 3 weeks earlier than it should have cause with one truck they told me the Local card would be better with monthly terms instead of the OTR card. I called to find out what was going on with the terms being different and could never get a answer other than "Oh let's just increase your credit limit it must just be a mistake" Then I stopped using it after I saw things not making sense and noticed this whole discount/ rebate junk got changed constantly and after I fueled at Mapco to get .10 cents off my rebate amount got cut cause they expected me to fuel there a lot less than I did. Finally I get a call after I didnt pay them anything else since they wouldn't return my calls, they call and say the new customers have different pay terms and they told me the wrong thing. Now we fast forward to this week, this evil, rude witch from Fleet One's dept they call "Legal Review" calls and says she is reporting my company to the DOT for being behind on this balance along with all the shops and parts companies and also they are sending a P.I. out to investigate what all I have they can take and what my company is worth to get their money. Mind you I have never received any formal letters about this, and have been making regular payments which me and her agreed upon, when she decided she didn't like the amount I was paying and insisted I paid a minimum of $750 a WEEK!!! who all has that kind of money just laying around. Be very careful with these fuel card companies like Fleet One and Loves they are very misleading.

8. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    Sounds like someone ran up a fuel bill and can't pay it....but it's someone else's fault.

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. Southern Flyer

Southern Flyer Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Rockmart, Ga
    Clearly Ralph you missed my point, these companies look to give you all the freedom they can to get more out of you with their terms and fine print. How many trucks do you own and please tell us all about what you know..

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't understand why Fleetone would report you to the DOT? I also don't understand why they would send someone out to check your company assets? They cannot take any of your property without first obtaining a judgment.

11. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Business is that bad? Heck, I lease/op with the Swift and even I could come out of pocket for $700 to fill up at a small mom and pop that wouldn't give me the cash price on my Comdata card.

As far as discounts ... as BBB mentioned T/A Petro are over priced, as well as all the majors. I buy at the independents and I maintain a fuel cost about $.20 below the EIA national average.

nofilter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.