Fuel Delivery questions

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by snowez, Feb 15, 2022.

1. snowez

snowez Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Wanting to get into fuel delivery because in my area they make the most while being in a day-cab.

I’ll be coming off OTR so have a couple questions.

1. how many gas stations do you deliver to in a day

2. how many times do you have have to refuel your tanker in a day.

3. with every gas station being setup different how do you know where the hookup things are in the ground so you know what angle or entrance to come in at? Or do you just drive up to each gas station blind and yolo it.

4. how was the transition going from dry-van to tanker? Or in my case OTR to home daily tanker.

I need 4 more months experience to get my
    Year but just recently got all my endorsements last month so I’m ready.

my gf is starting to get very upset about my OTR life so I need this change. Hopefully the pay is good

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I do two gas stations a day. I’m in a rural area. I might have to drive two hours one way to get fuel.

you fill the trailer for every gas station. Some companies do split loads. Mine doesn’t.

tanks are marked under the cover. I usually talk to another driver about my approach. Sometimes you pull in and then have to move

tanker work is easy. You need to drive carefully and take your time loading and unloading. No hurrying for gas loads.

Good luck

Dennixx and tscottme Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Here's some reading for you. Do some browsing in the tanker section. There's a lot of good information there.

Things I have learned while being a gas hauler

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    1; Depends on your area. I deliver from 1 to 5, I know some that deliver 10-11. I am fairly rural, so each station is farther away. More urban drivers travel less miles, so do more stations. You may have multiple stations on one load, example; ethanol free may be 4-5 stations per load. Often we split, partial load to one rest to another.

2; Refuel tanker after every load, when it's empty. You don't park it for the night loaded, but you may leave a load for your partner. Usually tankers are partnered with a 12 hour split for each driver.

3; You will have 2 weeks or so of training where you will be at most stations in your area. Pay attention to how your trainer does it, sometimes, you ask other drivers, sometimes you wing it. You can google map the station, look for the concrete section of parking lot, that's where the drops should be.

4; The main thing going from van to tank is the movement of the product. You don't get a lot of surge with gas since the tanks are compartmented and baffled, but you can get side surge ie; rollover, just slow down on curves. NEVER forget to stop at RR crossings.

I like this a lot more than OTR, I never have to wait for some lazy forklift driver to load or unload me. There's other problems, like trying to get into a busy station with cars that just seem to want to get in your way. I never have to shower at some dirty truckstop shower. I sleep in a real bed. I can refuse loads into questionable areas. I make more money.

kt_themvp, Dennixx and tscottme Thank this.
  6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    1. Up to 6 a shift for locally around holding tanks. Fewer the more driving you have to do.
    2. Most often once per every delivery. Split unloading is rare.
    3. Most can be done with a generic loading. The few that are different you'll remember over time. Worst case you need to move to finish offloading. As for how to get into stations Google maps in satellite mode works great. Also look for what has been hit and avoid hitting it too. If satellite view doesn't give you a good view don't be afraid to park in a safe spot, put on your flashers and get out to walk the station.
    4. I did things a little odd. Bottom dumps, Fuel then reffer. OTR reffer in my opinion is harder than tanker. I'd go back to fuel in a heartbeat if my back was better.

Just make all the safety procedures part of your routine. No cutting corners because it will eventually catch up to you. I could load in 15 minutes and offload in 30. After awhile you'll see being efficient will make you as fast as those who cut corners. I've gone to the wrong station and I've hooked up to the wrong tank as well. But because of following the double checks I always caught my mistakes before it was too late.

Good luck, you'll love tankers.

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. badbasics

badbasics Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    columbus,oh
    Expect long hours, I was putting in 65 to 70 hrs a week, running 5 to 6 gas stations. It seemed to me a lot of my time was waiting at the rack. I was paid by the load ,which sucked big time. I jumped ship after 5yrs of that nonsense and found an outfit that paid hourly, now I'm going on my 12th year with a wonderful tanker outfit hauling a combination of stations. Truck stops.and Excavtion companies, along with tank farms and such, Go and get paid by the hour..

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I interviewed for a job with Pilot and the way they did it was show up at X time, clock in, read the company phone to find out where you are going. This job was getting the truck loaded in Nashville or Chattanooga loading racks and then delivering fuel to Pilots in 3 state area. The dispatcher simply decided from moment to moment, based on numerous things, where you were to get loaded and where you were to deliver.

Some fuel jobs are a lot more regular as there may only be one loading rack near by, and you are only going to deliver at the same customers. I understand you usually ride with a current driver and do the job under his supervision until he/the employer and the people at the loading rack are certain you can follow the procedures for doing the job safely.

9. snowez

snowez Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Thanks for the answers y’all have two more questions.

how many hours do you work a day? Do you work your full 14 hours or is it shorter?

Also I never been paid hourly driving a truck so is it overtime after 40 hours?

And for a guy starting out with a year experience (I’ll be applying after my year at current company) but no tanker experience what do you think I’ll make hourly?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  10. Grove_LA

Grove_LA Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I’m almost at a year of experience took a gig doing wethose for a fuel delivery company. Wanted to get fuel/tanker experience so I can be more appealing to get on with a gravity drop company.

11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @snowez, you don't say what city/state your in/near, but what you will be paid depends on: what carrier you work for, you level of previous experience, the stuff you're hauling, and where you're located.

Some parts of the country just pay more for fuel hauling, than others.

With all that said--I'd say if you make less than mid-20s per hour, then you're surely being had.

I would strongly agree with badbasics (post #7) above--pass up on any fuel job that does not pay you hourly--ESPECIALLY as a new fuel hauler.

Also--seriously consider doing night shift duty. You'll have FAR LESS competition from other fuel hauling drivers when you go to the racks for fuel--and FAR LESS traffic/congestion to deal with, at your stops. You'll also of course have FAR LESS traffic, otherwise. As a driver with only a year (or so) under your belt--less traffic is important for you. Try it--it's nice!!

Based on my own experience as a current fuel hauler--try to get on with one of the private fleets, first (Love's, Pilot/Flying J)--but only AFTER you get in a year of driving experience, minimum.

Fuel hauling is a GREAT way to enter into the tanker segment of the industry--a lot of the disadvantages/headaches that other tanker drivers deal with just aren't the case with fuel hauling.

Avoid Circle K, as much as possible.

--Lual

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.