Fuel filter filling up fast.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dlstruck, Nov 28, 2016.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I've been replacing my fuel filter every 12k miles with my oil changes and the level would barely rise. The past 6 weeks though, it would fill up every 2-3k miles and I'd have to change it to keep going.

I was mostly filling up on a single truck stop since I was running locally and this started when I went cross country. I figured it was a bad batch of fuel but it's not going away. I was away for about 40 days but I'm back now and it's still filling up fast.

Is there anything else that can be causing it? I've never had this issue in any other truck before. This is an 03 Columbia with a 12.7 pre-EGR Detroit. 740k miles, never been rebuilt or anything. I'm still getting plenty of power unless the filter is full and a little over 7 MPG so it's not affecting performance, just really annoying.

Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    What colors the fuel when you dump the filters you just took off? N have you ever cut one of them open after pulling it off, see what the filter is clogging with?

4. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    That happens this time of year as it gets colder. My guess is that the fuel is waxing because it's not treated yet. If you're going from a warm area to a cold area try to wait to fuel where you know it is blended or treated.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK. the part # on filters your using now some filters have 10 micron others filter smaller and will fill up much faster, winter time fuel will make filter go bad faster

6. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Just here say this is what I heard. Up to 2% ethanol can be added to fuel with out having to be labeled. This is breaking down contaminants in storage tanks causing regular filter changes and other problems. That is at the delivery station. I have had more filter changes than normal on my off road equipment. Normally change on schedule not by low power.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Bio diesel will put a kink in your slinky.

9. blr300

blr300 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    St. Thomas Ont. Canada
    I second the bio....

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Hollywoodsaint

Hollywoodsaint Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California

Attached Files:

11. Hollywoodsaint

Hollywoodsaint Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    LMAO ...you made the beer come out my nose HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.