Fuel gauge showed empty. All fuel went to passenger side tank?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by The_Great_Corn, Dec 16, 2018.

1. The_Great_Corn

The_Great_Corn Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    I put in 40 gallons in just the drivers side tank so I could make it to my next authorized fuel stop. As I was driving down the interstate I watched to gauge fall all the way to empty as the low fuel amber warning light came on. I about had a heart attack and pulled over to the next off ramp. There weren't any fuel leaks and I took a peak into the tanks to ensure I had fuel. I made it to the next truck stop and added 100 more gallons. I took a peak into the tanks again and the passenger tank was completely full to the top even though I added fuel to just the drivers tank. I thought that was very strange and my fuel gauge reading was very inaccurate showing around 1/4 tank. Normally when I added fuel to just the drivers side the fuel level would equalize between the tanks but it had all gone to the passengers side until it was completely full. Was wondering what would cause that and how the fuel system works. It's a 2016 Cascadia.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Type plugged fuel tank vent in site search box.

Grumppy and The_Great_Corn Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes, could be a plugged vent. I had that happen one time. Drivers side emptied out, truck died at highway speed. Davco was empty, passenger side was half full. Checked the drivers side tank vent, plugged with ice from slushy roads earlier in the day. Cleaned it out with a pick after topping up the drivers tank. Worked fine after that.
    Also just check the position of your fuel shutoff valves if you have them.

Jazz1 and The_Great_Corn Thank this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA

I remember those days. Some day soon you can leave that behind you.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Hell ive got a 2016 cascadia and i dont think ive ever seen the fuel gauge not have that orange light on... These 2016 are a piece of junk , i had more problems with it than i care to remember

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I don't know where you are but up here thats somewhat common in -30 temps when return line freezes and all the fuel is returned to NON FEEDER tank. I have opened my passenger tank and had fuel pour out! Any time its happened truck goes for a night in a warm shop, maybe pour some methyl hydrate in tank.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.