Fuel hauler paying by the hour

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by PALOU, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Depends on where you're located.

I've been averaging about $1300/week with only working here over a year.

One guy that works here who runs his butt off makes around $1800-2000/week, that's working 5 days a week. I work 6 days a week since I'm newer and I want to make more money

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's definitely true. One guy runs about 8-9 loads a day.

I only run about 3 or 4 since I do long distance stuff.

4. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I made about 1200 the other week and that was with calling out sick one day.

I usually average $220-280/night during weekdays and $250-330/night on weekends

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  5. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can make 23-25 an hour in Los Angeles plus OT and one company pays 28 or 29. $25 per hour with OT is $1750 for a 60 hour week. But $1750 in LA probably has the same purchasing power as $1000 or less in the southeast.

mike-v and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  6. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also I'm sitting here as the rack is down no way I would do this by the load. Hourly or nothing.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  7. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now I'm behind an Arco driver in the gas/DSL split lane who isn't loading DSL. Getting paid though :D

8. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah see if I had to sit in traffic I'd also want to be paid hourly, but doing what I do I'll take load pay all the way.

I hardly ever go to racks when they are down for gauging/inventory when I can help it. If I know a rack is going down and my next load is coming out of there I'll switch loads around and go to a different rack. Although if I have no way around it I can either choose to turn the load in and go home (if it's my last load and I don't feel like waiting) or I can wait and get paid hourly for waiting pay. Usually I just wait unless I don't feel like it and the store doesn't need the fuel right away, then I just go home. There are many variables that count toward my decisions on those situations though

mike-v Thanks this.
  9. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea traffic is the biggest thing. Accounts for probably 4-5 hours per day with our longer loads.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  10. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Luckily it only accounts for about a 40 minutes total the way I run. I work 1500-0300 about to go to 1300-0100 and be doing pump loads along with gravity drops. I love working weekends for the extra money, For instance I worked last night (Sunday Night) and only worked 11 hours but with the loads i did plus night & weekend pay I earned about $310 that night. My weekends are my big money nights usually lol, since I can run more loads with less traffic

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Arco is a done deal. There is no more ARCO. Once the company Tesoro takes over (or maybe now) the hourly rate will go out and the pay drops. When Arco was completely ARCO and no one else it was the best. We got hourly wages and the pay started when you got there and ended when you left. Most all of the gas haulers know that the majors paid the best and you could make a very good living. Back in the 90's you could gross 6 figures and that's not running hard. We avoided running over 12 hours a day so we didn't have to mess with log books. Your schedule was based on a 10 hour day 4 days a week.

There might be a small chance that the majors come back but it would be very slow and not like the past. I have seen it before but on a small scale. What happens is the book smart people that make these decisions finely realize that having company trucks is cheaper than hiring a company to do your hauling. When you figure the advertisement you get from the trucks, the spills, cross dumps, accidents, and any other hang up cost the company money and a company driver has less.

As far as walking in a gas hauling job with no experience just is very rare. I have seen it done but it's rare. What is a more common scenario is the old who you know gets the job. I would say that sending in your application by mail or e-mail will not get you anywhere in this field if you have no experience. If you find a company you like go see them and let them know you are very interested in their company and if they know where and how to accomplish that task.

All of you that are saying there's no money in gasoline you have to remember that just about all of us get paid for what we do. While you OTR drivers count their pay per trip or load but never figure the hours you have to put in. Your gone every hour away from home and you don't get paid for all your hours.

And finely you drivers that think a gasoline tanker is a bomb need to study up on how they work then you'd understand it takes a tank to rip open to be a problem. Also compare the fatally accidents with any other truck product.

tman78, xsetra, mike-v and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.