Fuel Haulers (true or false) ?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tman78, Oct 13, 2017.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Was talking to a GUY who's OTR (reefer/dry). At one time he hauled fuel and told me the following:

As a Fuel Hauler;

-He wasn't allowed to park near gov. buildings.
    -He wasn't allowed to park and sleep at Truck stops.
    • How much of this is true?
    • Is this also true for anyone hauling chemicals?

Thanks for your input...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    The part about parking news a gov building, I'm not 100% about. But I would like to believe if a large tanker was parked outside an important gov building for any length of time, security would be checking it out.

Parking at a truck stop, complete Bull$&!t.

Chemicals, there are some cities you can't travel threw our park overnight unless it's a local delivery. (I run under a special hazmat permit for my product that has a list of approved truckstops I can stop/sleep at, but I don't always follow it unless I'm invoking "safe harbor".)

Sounds like someone engaged in a little "puffery".

4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    X2.
    Never been turned away from a truck stop.

5. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Thanks John...I'm speaking of Fuel Tankers only. I think you are right about gov.blds here in FLA.,...no chemicals or Fuel.

So, you are saying that Fuel Tank Trucks can park over-night at Truck Stops?

6. LWT104

LWT104 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Around the corner
    Gov buildings, bridges and such, no. Haz mat can only park in safe havens. The trucking company should know where those are at. A truck stop could be designated a safe haven.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm assuming you mean gas /diesel haulers? I'm aware of no law banning fuel haulers from parking overnight at a truck stop. Flying J, Loves and a lot of smaller chains have their own trucks parked there when the drivers are off work.
    Honestly, most fuel hauling is done with day cabs anyway.

8. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    As stated before most fuel hauling is locally ran but not all. When it comes to parking overnight/ while on 10hr brake the regulation states you can't be parked closer than several 100ft of ANY building. But there shouldn't be any problem parking in a truck stop per say. Now you shouldn't go parking next to a trailer loaded with an oxidizer such as liquid oxygen tho either. Most hazmat regs are really commin sense when it comes to parking.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.