Fuel hauling advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lav-25, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Lately , i've had more people ask about fuel hauling , so here is some basic info .
    1- have a hazmat !! Can't do anything without it .
    2- have a acceptable driving record ( insurance is 5 mill for liability , so if your record sucks or is iffy , stop doing stupid #### and clean it up. No one wants a nut case driving a fuel truck .
    3- there are local fuel haulers , regional and some otr ones too . They all want the same thing - a good safety record , a can do attidude and reliability.
    4- fuel hauling has lots of additional hurdles to cover ( training at load racks , getting carded at racks , and then the safety training
    Example - dude comes for a job , submitts a driving record and resume , i'll check the driving record , and check to see if you REALLY have a hazmat - not expired or getting one soon . Had that happen often.
    The resume talks , if you have a lot in ten years , then i will ask why - sickness , Family issue , health , boss / Company issues , i can deal with , but if you lie about anything ( wreck , ticket , fighting ) then it won 't happen .
    If you do decide to try it , get out and talk to the people who do it . They are good at what they do ( truck wise , fuel wise) . Good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Dont forget to have the ‘tanker’ endorsement, not just hazmat. There is a lot of hazmat that does not need tanker.

Lav-25, wifi_guru and Bud A. Thank this.
  4. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    When I was hauling chemicals, I remember talking to a hand at a stop who lived near Houston somewhere. He told me about an OTR job he used to do hauling av gas and Jet A to little airports all around the west, out loaded, back empty. Said he went to a lot of funny little airports you would never know were there unless you were a pilot. I always thought that would be a fun job, but I don't want to move to the Gulf.

Lav-25 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. Lav-25

Mar 31, 2018
    Those little places are cool , been to a couple out here in the southwest .

Bud A. Thanks this.
  6. OrangeBox

OrangeBox Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2024
    @Lav-25
    Let me ask you this because my DMV is remedial. And a local fuel job just opened up by me for low experience guys.

I have all my endorsements. Twic. Etc.
    The DMV, twice now, after passing background and the test, and online eldt, reissued the same dang license to me instead of throwing the X endorsement on there lol.

Called in, to the state, she says she sees the hazmat, but the office has to fix the physical copy. So…a third trip after weeks of waiting for it in the mail. (I can also login online and see my hazmat doesnt expire for 23 months etc)

You would be able to see I do in fact have an X right? Or not you either. Feel like Im about to miss an opportunity here thanks to a DMV derp. (Va state)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
  7. Lav-25

Mar 31, 2018
    What is on the license is what i go by .
    ( in new mexico it will be tanker for sure and for fuel -hazmat also . So on the license it will be T , X . )
    If you took a haz mat test and tanker test , the dmv should have your results on computer and print it out if you ask / pay for it.

hope that helps

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    OrangeBox Thanks this.
  8. OrangeBox

OrangeBox Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Definitely. Just had them print it out today ,waiting for the finally fixed version too lol. Thanks again!

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  9. Xirtam2k

Xirtam2k Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2023
    And even with all of the requirements, is still hard to get a job nowadays (at least in South Tx) all the companies hauling fuel have already their family members or someone that knows someone in the company and you never get the opportunity... it's been years for me trying to get a job nearby where I live and even with 6 years of experience hauling fuel and cng, still no answer from all of these companies nearby

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Around here the dirt haulers are making as much as the fuel haulers..

Doesn’t really seem worth it

Lav-25 and Xirtam2k Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.