Fuel hauling experience in a Class B vehicle beneficial?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Zonno, Jun 8, 2024.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    South Ga
    Suppose I had at least two years of driving a tractor-trailer, but then got a job hauling fuel that was in a Class B truck for a year or so, would this experience on my resume help me to get on with a good fuel-hauling company such as Loves, Pilot, etc.? So long as I have tractor-trailer experience (even if that experience was not hauling fuel or any other hazmat load), would getting a job hauling/delivering fuel in a Class B vehicle be a waste of time or could it still provide good experience on a resume?

I’m sure it’s safe to assume that if two applicants apply for one of those coveted fuel-hauling companies and one had two years of TT and two years of fuel in a Class B, whereas the other had two years of fuel in a Class A, then that applicant would be more favorable between the two.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It will be considered. Probably need insurance company to sign off on it.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Yes and yes….

You may have to go to a regional contract carrier for a while. A Private fleet is about as good as it gets ….

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    Zonno and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Yes....& no.

That class B experience is indeed better than nothing.

But....if you are competing against other drivers who have acquired similar fuel-hauling experience while pulling a 48-ft fuel trailer (& with good safety records)....I would not expect you to get the next class A fuel job over them.

-- L

Zonno Thanks this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Zonno Thanks this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Follow-up: I've seen L&R fuel rigs at the fuel racks.

They are the real deal.

Also: their equipment appears to be in good shape.

-- L

Zonno Thanks this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Stay away from Kag..

They are a plague upon the universe…..

Goodysnap and Zonno Thank this.
  9. andhe78

andhe78 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Buffalo, NY
    I always find it interesting how carriers are regarded differently in different areas of the country. Around here, Pilot/Flying J is considered the bottom of the barrel, and Gemini here actually pays quite a bit lower than several common carriers.

Zonno Thanks this.
  10. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    South Ga
    I saw them. It states they desire “2 years of Class A CDL driving, Tanker and Hazmat”. I don’t know if this means 2 years of hazmat/tank driving or simply 2 years of driving with the endorsements. I can always apply and find out.

I should mention that I don’t quite have 2 years of TT experience (drove tandem dump trucks for several years and moved up to tractor-trailer dump in March 2023). I used “2 years” as an illustration for this thread. However, I’ll have 2 years as of March 2025 and plan to apply when I do.

11. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    South Ga
    I see their trucks pass through on occasion but they don’t have any terminals around that I know of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.