Fuel hauling for first trucking job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kds_5280, Sep 21, 2021.

1. kds_5280

kds_5280 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2021
    Colorado
    I just graduated from a CDL school with a very good reputation. Passed the state CDL test with an excellent score. Currently reviewing options on where I can go work, but I met with a company that hauls fuel today (Dixon Bros.). They seem to have a good reputation and are growing. Anybody worked for them or know anything about them?

Also, is hauling fuel a good first driving job? Everyone I've talked to who does it seems to like it and it pays better than a lot of other things. Another graduate from my school has been working there a couple months and is apparently doing well. I know that extreme attention to detail is required for that job, but it doesn't seem like it would be overly difficult after I got trained on the loading/unloading procedures. Curious what y'all think? Thanks in advance...

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If that's the type of trucking you want, then go for it.
    More drivers would do the same, except it's a little difficult to find fuel hauling jobs for new cdl school grads in some parts of the country.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

kds_5280 Thanks this.
  4. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    It would be a awesome. I enjoyed it till my back went out. There is a tanker forum with a lot of good info in it.
    Just remember. Walk your hoses and check your address.

kds_5280 Thanks this.
  5. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Great gig if you can get it.
    Money is excellent, hours kinda suck, but it's pretty easy money.... and you're home daily.
    Put the right product into the right hole, triple check every connection, and verify your Veeder root with the stick.

Chinatown and kds_5280 Thank this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I started hauling fuel back in early August, for the first time.

Also, it's my first tanker gig.

As indicated above--it's generally a good situation, if you can get it.

But...to be truthful, I'm glad I got a couple of years of OTR experience first, and then went on into fuel hauling.

I can see why many fuel hauling companies want drivers with some experience.

--Lual

kds_5280 Thanks this.
  7. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    It’d be best to not jump into the fuel industry as a first gig as you’d have to learn how to operate the truck first. Meaning how to manuever, how to pretrip- post trip. How to make turns without taking out light poles. How to properly back up without having a panic attack. May even have to learn how to shift some gears… Add in tanker and thats another hurdle. Gotta slow way extra when taking turns as liquid has momentum, especially in winter months. Different pretrip on a tanker than a dry Van that you practiced on at school. Add the fuel industry which most fuel company trainers expect you to have some knowledge of the trucks and trailers. You’ll also be pulling a hazardous material every load. And you’ll need to know the city like the back of your hand cause there are non hazmat routes ( sometimes the gps is wrong and the officer doesn’t care) next time you fill up at a gas station find the lids. White is 87 and red is premium yellow is diesel and ask yourself can I put a trailer in here and how would I do it? And how would I get out. Are you afraid of confrontation because people are gonna do stupid stuff such as smoke a cigarette then try to walk near your coned off area and say they didn’t see it. Loading the truck and unloading the truck becomes easy.. almost too easy to the point where it’s easy to get complacent. But if you stay alert and treat each load with respect it’s a easy job.. it’s a lot to learn for somebody first starting in the industry. But it’s doable, if you do choose the fuel industry I wish you success

kds_5280 Thanks this.
  8. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I drive tanker, milk tanker. Milk tends to not be explosive. That would bother me, knowing I'm pulling a bomb

9. kds_5280

kds_5280 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2021
    Colorado
    It is a lot to take in right off the bat. I trained on an old manual truck and picked up shifting pretty quick. The guy who trained me (about 50 yrs of experience) seemed to think I'd have no problem doing fuel. This company would have me in training for around a month or more. I met with the director of safety and operations for this region yesterday and he said they won't put me out there solo until we both feel entirely comfortable with it. Thank you for the input, very helpful :thumbright:

meechyaboy and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. kds_5280

kds_5280 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2021
    Colorado
    It is a scary thought...
    Aren't milk tankers smooth bore? I would love to do milk or something like that but I don't know of any companies hauling milk or food products like it around Denver who would hire a new driver.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Heading toward winter. Heating fuel companies are getting geared up for the coming winter. If its anything like the local company here. They start you off with the thick stuff. Then as you get more experience will they give you a lighter oil that has more slosh to it.

kds_5280 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.