Fuel In The Morning If Parking At Night

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Two Cents, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Two Cents

Two Cents Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2016
    If you're parking for the night and you need fuel wait to fuel in the morning before you hit the road to discourage diesel theft. It's easy for someone to syphon fuel from your tanks while you're sleeping and you'd never know until it was too late. With all the ambient noise in truck stops and rest areas people can steal your juice without you knowing.

I was at the Flying J in Lake Station, Indiana and saw a guy walk out from between two trucks carrying two huge red containers which I assumed were fuel cans. And he had what looked like a hose or tube of some kind threaded through the handle of one of them. I watched him struggle to carry these cans across the lot, put them in what looked like a Dodge Caravan and drive out fairly quick. Now I admit I don't know his story. Maybe he was stealing fuel, maybe he was just taking his own fuel because he needed it someplace else, hell maybe he had permission to take some fuel from the owner, I really don't know but one of the trucks he walked out from between was in the fuel island the night before. It was a bright green custom job and the only truck like it in the lot when I did a quick loop and it occurred to me that it might have been diesel theft.

So wait to fuel the next morning. You never know who's watching you and your truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I had some fuel and two load locks stolen at a service plaza on the Indiana turnpike once. I was pulling reefer at the time and never heard a thing. I noticed the cap was off of one of the tanks the next morning. They also broke my load lock holder when pulling them off.

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    It won't matter when you get fuel. If someone wants to steal fuel, it's a safe bet there will be enough to fill their cans in any of the trucks they choose. The only ones you'll slow down, are the folks who park beside you and use an electric pump to fill their tanks while you're sleeping. And even then, they'll drain your tank and move on.

5. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I prefer to wait until morning because I'm slightly more likely to get a spot to park.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's an argument to be had on both sides of the coin. Depending on wether your paper or elogs.

Getting fuel in the morning meant starting your 14. And who knows how long it was actually gonna be before you actually started working. ( unloading/reloading or whatever )

Oxbow, Lepton1, EZ Money and 4 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Decades ago they were stealing fuel at the rest stops. Ohio rest areas along 80 comes to mind. We started using US 20 I think it was or it was something else possibly. Bypass the toll road and thefts entirely.

In Jersey you have to stay with the truck or you will have mr light fingers or siphon get a hold of your unattended rig. It don't take but a few minutes. People will sit there hours waiting for the lobster truck show up with the giant Banner MBM on the side and driver walks off to bathroom or something, comes back to see side door busted and thousands gone.

Lombardi use to drive me crazy with fuel theft. I don't stop in there anymore.

Locking caps is a partial solution. Dive under and make sure you still have fuel lines ....

Lepton1, DoneYourWay and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    You can combine pretrip and fueling same time, so you not losing time

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Remember the old winter time standby always be half tanks filling up.

The fuel theft probability is low enough that you can within reason expect to be untouched especially if you have locking caps.

Don't try to be thin on fuel and sleep. If she starves and quits running, your filters will need replacing most likely to start off.

Lepton1 and snowwy Thank this.
  10. Loose Leaf

Loose Leaf Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2017

He didn't park next to the truck he got the fuel from.
    That should have been a red flag.

You didn't take a plate ### or even try to report the theft?

Don't get mad when your house/ truck ect gets robbed and your neighbors turn a blind eye.

Be safe, have fun.

x1Heavy, Lepton1, tucker and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yes, But you still have to start your 14.

Oxbow and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.