Fuel management for my company drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Yoster, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Yoster

Yoster Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Preparing to hire on my first driver soon, my question is, how do you guys manage fuel for drivers? As in, I am used to using TCV and RTS via the apps, but what is the best way to maximize savings when you arent the one driving? I suppose I could plan fuel stops for the driver but I dont think either of us wants to get into that kind of micromanaging, so what is the next best option? Thanks.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Its going to be difficult with these fuel prices. Most times I can tell an Owner Operator from a Company driver from the amount of idled trucks at any given customer, truck stop etc.

Siinman, Bean Jr. and Arctic_fox Thank this.
  4. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Basically you either micro-manange or get a card that gives a good discount but works only at a chain common to an area you run and make sure they only fuel there. Also fuel bonuses are a good incentive.

Further put APUs or anti-idle stuff on the rig and so on. Problem is most drivers dont care. Its not their money afterall.

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Every night I'm surrounded by company trucks idling all night, for no good reason, in the beautiful Spring weather.

No way to save fuel with a truck unless you own it.

Siinman, Bean Jr., Lite bug and 3 others Thank this.
  6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’m not going to work all day to freeze/sweat in a truck all night nor would I expect a driver to, if I went with a new truck it would have an apu but I can inframe my old truck for what one costs.

Absolutely do some king of heater though so you only have to idle below 0- -5ish

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    It sounds like you’re already trying to micromanage. Your worried about fuel, unless your running a APU, how is the driver supposed to stay comfortable ? If you’re going to start nickel and dime-ing….. you’re going to be stressing big time. That’s why I personally have chosen NOT to add another truck. I don’t need more stress in my life. Goodluck to you.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you think you’re going to have to babysit then you’ll need to do it from the start. I wouldn’t turn them loose at first and then try and rein them in later on. That will just upset your driver.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    W2 or 1099?

You really can't. You need to learn how to find and recruit drivers who are concern about the business and the customer at the same time.
    You can't. You can hope to keep cost down but it is something you can't control, you are not driving.
    Don't, please please don't.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah it's more interesting when your the one having to pay the fuel bill huh? So drivers aren't bothered by leaving the engine running, I personally hate wasting energy even if I'm not paying for the fuel, if I did not need my air-con or the heat working I would switch the truck off. Not everyone is like that though and it is rather hard to police the fuel use, other than provide an auxiliary motor to run the aircon or heating. Or offer a special bonus in the drivers pay check for good fuel economy. An idling truck motor will use about 1 gallon per hour, or approximately 8 gallons during a rest stop at $4 per gallon around $32 per running day. x by what size fleet of trucks you have which is why the large companies would be running up quite a large fuel bill just to keep the driver warm or cool for the night. Hense most will supply an axillary motor.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Yoster

Yoster Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    I didnt say anything about idling, my trucks have bunk heaters and apus, Only how to optimize fuel stops. I guess I just need to go with a fuel program that gives discounts at all stops of a certain chain and let them stop where they want as long as its the discounted chain.

Bean Jr. and 86scotty Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.