fuel mileage (company drivers)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ew2108, Jul 2, 2011.

1. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    here tires are also for those speeds but what i can see they start to be weared/teared lot more at higher speeds

i also think longer wheelbase truck need to be more stable but

i was not think on this but

steering wheels start to be very light at those speeds and smallest turn on steering wheels have big impact on truck ( i mean back of trailer goes meter left or right.....)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    Why is it that some people feel that showing up for work is sufficient to warrant a paycheck and then expect "bonuses" if they do the job properly?. And people wonder why some companies don't care about what's best for the employee:biggrin_25513:

4. Stoney

Stoney Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    I do my job properly. I get the load to it's destination on time, and safely.

But saving fuel requires the driver to go slower. Meaning I'm working longer. I don't believe I should work a half longer for the same pay, I'm not paid by the hour going down the road. I'm paid by the mile. A 500 mile trip pays the same if takes 8.5 or 9 hrs.
    I'm all for saving the company money. But at a cost to me.

If slowing down saves the company $20,000 per truck, GREAT! But pay me 50% of the savings. I make more money, the company is still saving money, we both make out. Where's the downside?

Ok, you cam remove your foot from your mouth now.

5. Stoney

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    And I don't expect a check just for showing up. But I do expect a check for the work and my time I give.

6. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    So, let me ask you a question. Lets say YOU own a trucking company and you are running 20 trucks. All 20 drivers "get the load to it's destination on time, and safely" but 5 typically burn the most fuel, 10 do pretty good on fuel and 5 consistently get better fuel economy than the others. Now, things slow down and you can no longer keep all 20 trucks running at full capacity and some will have to be put on an abbreviated schedule. Which drivers will YOU keep running full pin and which ones will have their miles cut back?. Again, if you have a run that you HAVE to make but you know it's going to be a gong show with lots of waiting time and a real PITA and another run that will be smooth sailing with alot of easy miles and you have one driver that consistently gets 1.5MPG better than the other, which one will you send on the gravy run and which one to the gong show?. "Bonuses" don't always appear as a little addition tacked on the end of a paycheck. The best employees get the best runs and the best/most miles and therefor make more money. Getting the load to it's destination on time, and safely is the MINIMUM standard. Usually, those that strive to do the minimum will get by and those that strive to be the best get ahead. It's all about attitude.

7. Stoney

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    I don't care.

Any how, you missing my point. You like getting same pay for more work? Whats your problem?

8. Stoney

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    But if I were an owner, I would already have some type fuel incentive bonus in place.

Not only do I want my drivers driving slower to save fuel, but slower speeds are safer, and puts less stress on the truck it self.

And getting job to its destination on time and safely is more than minimum standard. In the end, its still just a job to a company driver. If I start slowing my trucks down, and not compensate my drivers in some way, I'll have a hard time keeping drivers and hiring good drivers.

Company drivers don't like getting screwed over so that the owner can make more money.

Company guys like me, want the company to do well, but unless the company is on the verge on shutting down and going bankrupt, don't ask me to work longer for the same amount of pay.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Probably your roads are different. Interstates here don't require much steering input. They are engineered that way. There are exceptions like the "gorge" on I-40 in east TN western NC. I would imagine the German autobahn to be like our interstates seeing how we borrowed the idea from them. Are all European roads like the autobahn? Your trucks are different, the environment is different. I would imagine something as simple as factory standards on steering gear box ratios are different Euro versus N. America. That alone might be why your steering feels unsafe at 75mph and ours doesn't...

10. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008

here we mostly use zf 8098 steering wheel pump

its ratios are from 17-20 depending on truck sometimes more

i agree with you about that you write

i dont know what do you consider as autobahn ( i know that you think on german motorway but i dont know what did you think)

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Autobahn, to my way of thinking, is a road that was engineered specifically for driving at high speeds safely. Our interstate highway system is just like the autobahn with its exit ramps and entrance ramps. Our drivers, trucks and cars unfortunately, don't have the same courtesy as autobahn drivers though. Are all major European highways of the same efficient design and standard as the autobahn or is Germany the exception?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.