Fuel surcharge and fuel tax??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucker327, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Trucker327

Trucker327 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Can someone explain to me..how amd what exactly the fuel surcharge and the fuel tax is and works?? Also just a question for you o/o...i just received my check...i stayed on vaca for a week..when i receieved my check..on the deductables..it said they had pulled out $250 for fuel tax...i dont always have a fuel tax deduct on every check..more like once a month..and the previous once were wayyyyyy diff!! Ex..a month ago it was 40..and 2 montha ago it was $5...can someone please explain this to me?!?! Also how can I find out the taxes & surcharge for each state?? Thnx!!

truckinglife1198 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well the first thing is whoever you are leased to you should go to them and have them give you a printout of exactly what it is you're paying for. Don't know who you're leased to but there are plenty of unscrupulous people that just take deductions as they feel like it. If they are taking it out of your check they should be able to show you all the states that you traveled in and where you bought fuel and why that came out of your check.

I don't know 100% for sure how true this is, but I have heard that often times companies do not figure your exact fuel tax, they take everyone's fuel tax and average it. So in that case you would be paying for everyone else's fuel tax not specifically your own. I suppose that could make it better or worse.

You need a record of all of your mileage and where you bought Fuel and how many gallons and you can go on to each State's website and I think the charges are all there. I think there are calculators and tools to help you figure the tax on most of the state's websites.

If you were away on vacation, there could be extra charges for your insurance and whatever fees that you pay them, that may be part of why your deduction is so high.

If I were leased onto a carrier I would make sure that I do my own ifta because it is something if you pay attention to you can work on paying as little tax as possible. I would not let them take care of anything even plates or whatever else. Only the stuff that they absolutely have to take care of as the carrier

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.