Fuel tank and filter warmers?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Amram, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Will it cook the batteries?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Davco makes a heated unit, and if you have a Tri-Pac I believe you will need the Arctic Kit. It is an in-line unit on the cooling line going into the Tri-Pac, it is a copper unit with has two drip tubes on it. Plugs into the wiring harness but needs to be set up with a laptop. When the coolant temp reaches a certain temp, the APU will start up until the desired coolant temp is reached and then shut down.

Also, with the batteries, there is a setting there too. When the batteries reach a certain voltage, this can be set too, the unit will start and run for a period of time or until the batteries are charged. Again, this needs to be set by the dealer. BUT, depending on your control panel in the sleeper, if it is the older digital touch pad one, some of these functions may be able to be set by the owner. I don't have the file on those instructions though.

4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    On the heating pads, our company in ND tried them, waste of money when it is brutally cold like it is today. Best bet, leave the tri pac running. Use anti-gel in fuel and use straight diesel, don't use that watered down bio stuff Flying J and the big boys sell. I use Power Service with good luck. I have had a truck gel using Howes.

5. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    No it will not the alternator will only charge so much just like your car or pickup. I have had mine tripac hook up like for the past two years with no problems. I cant stand the on off BS I sleep so much better now. Once I get home I flip the switch so it will keep the engine warm and charge batteries on it own but when I'm in the truck it runs all the time

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    My tripac has the arctic switch. I just dont have a heated davco or the arctic fox coolant coil heaters in my fuel tanks yet. They are on my to do list now. Also getting a heater for my windshield washer reservior.

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Get a set of these too... Heated Wiper Blades | Everblades Windshield Wipers

Been using them for a few years, will not do winter without them.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Thermoking should be able to connect the APU coolant in to your engines coolant (will only work down to so cold before the heat may not be enough to keep engine warm). Many APU by TK are installed this way to start.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I posted some solutions i found on YouTube, here;
    How to warm up the engine block?
    BTW, i was thinking about this weed burner, i purchased one from Lowes last year to burn grass on the driveway. Handled with caution could be used to warm up the fuel tanks, rear ends;

10. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    What do you think about this adhesive hand warmers?!
    would this work sticked on fuel and oil filters to warm up a bit just to reduce viscosity, improve oil flow through filter?? I had problem with oil gushing around the filters during cold starts even with synthetic oil; have to start tomorrow in -25 degrees Celsius.

from time 1.20

from the reviews i just read, this brand called "hothands"are the best, lasts 10-12 hours
    https://www.amazon.ca/HotHands-Adhesive-Body-Warmer-40-Count/dp/B005J2K356

I purchased 3 bags of regular size from Lowe's today , but they don't have the ones with adhesive; they have this supersize sticky options would be nice to wrap the filters in 3-4 of this, lasts 12/18 hours (they have 18 hours variants not sticky in Wall Mart , got a pack of 10, i'll try this evening) ; but i can't find sticky in store, have to order online.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    nax Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.