Fuel tank busted my options.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kay_ray, Jun 24, 2020.

1. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    hey guys so today while driving something got caught under my truck and hit the primary fuel tank . I pulled over right away and the fuel kinda leaked to the shoulder around 50 gal . The fire department came and did a spill controll . Got inspected and everything was good . The question i have is do i need to contact my insurance in regards to this . There was no hazmat team called but the officer did gave me a paper to give it to my insurance .
    Second if it goes through my insurance will it effect me negatively in anyway.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    SPILL CONTROL usually submits an invoice for any 'expendables' used like absorbent pads and booms -or- the folding 'kiddie pool' they may put under a leaking tank. Plus there may be a disposal charge from whomever they called to finish the cleanup and dispose of the contaminated materials.

Were you under dispatch?

Was this reported to your carrier?

Usually the carrier has some form of environmental or pollution coverage built into their policy.

kay_ray Thanks this.
  4. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    I am ic so will have to call my insurance agent . Thanks

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Meh, see what happens. Next time that happens, stick a rag in the hole and get the hell out of there. I'm surprised Haz-Mat team ( sitting on their thumbs) didn't come out. Contaminated soil can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe that's why you were told to contact the ins. fun could be around the corner. You could get a bill for cleanup.

PE_T, JerzyG, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  6. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    I tried to but the pressure was pushing it out . Ended up holding it And trooper didnt wanted me under the truck holding the rag in construction zone. I hope the insurance claim is not hundreds of thousand and they covers it or It will put me out of business. Already paid 700 for the tow and the shop is trying to patch the hole up so another 3 to 400.

201 Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Whoa, wonder what you hit? Used to be, you could shut that tank off, draw off the other one and still roll. I don't think it will be hundreds of thousands, it's not the Valdez oil spill, but fuel /soil contamination is a big deal today. Next time, take a screwdriver and stuff as much of the rag as you can, even if it's dripping, try and get out of there. I know, easier said than done, but I've had experience with that before.

kay_ray Thanks this.
  8. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    It was prob a metal piece . I didnt think about the screwdriver trick but thanks for that . Hopefully will never have to use that .

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    That is crazy. The tear strength of that aluminum is very high. Aircraft grade. It takes a lot to puncture them. They well usually dent and fold before they tear open. The steer tire must of flung the object up into the tank just right. A freak one in a million thing for sure.
    I wonder if that Flex Seal tape woulda helped temporarily? Roll it up in a ball and pack it in the hole?

PE_T, 650cat425, AModelCat and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That happened to me one time. I heard something hit, but didn't know what happened until I was in the dock being unloaded. I found a small piece of wood and tapped it into the hole and the leak stopped. Made it back to the terminal about 200 miles away and let the shop take care of it from there.
    Didn't want the police or EPA involved.
    ~
    Didn't think about the rag and screwdriver though. Could have done the same with that piece of wood and a rag.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.