Fuel Tanks Not Draining Equally

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Gentlemanfarmer, May 20, 2017.

1. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    I have a 2014 Volvo 780 with twin 150 gallon fuel tanks. In the past couple of months I have noticed that my fuel gauge is not reading accurate fuel levels. The fuel gauge will drop to the red zone, but I will have maybe 30 gallons in the left tank and double that in the right tank. Today, thanks to a faulty truck stop fuel pump, I had to fill my left tank first which took 115 gallons and then the right tank, which took 65 gallons. My gauge was showing low fuel with only 31 gallons left.

Is there something I can do outside of a truck repair shop to my fuel lines? Would lines from one tank be blocked or is there some other issue I should be concerned about? I would appreciate any advice or instructions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    CHeck the fuellevel sensor ... and his cables

4. saddletramp57

saddletramp57 Bobtail Member

May 20, 2017
    Check your air tubes at top of your tanks sometimes they plug with dirt. And look at crossover lines gate valves may not be open all the way

Gentlemanfarmer Thanks this.
  5. Fast Track Mechanic

Fast Track Mechanic Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Sounds like a tank venting issue, airtubes at top of tank as saddletramp said which sometimes connect to tank venting filters

Gentlemanfarmer Thanks this.
  6. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Left tank has more than the right?

Drive only on sideways hills with the left side of truck higher than the right.

Or...

Put R11 tires (big) on the left and low profile (small) on the right.

Gravity will equalize the tanks..

OK, sorry for that. Just could not help myself. Hopefully you at least cracked 1/2 a stupid smile at my inventive although likely useless solution...

:banghead:

Now, hold my beer and ya'll watch this....

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    nax, Gentlemanfarmer and passingthru69 Thank this.
  7. Gentlemanfarmer

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    I checked the air tube on the right tank and it was blocked with mud. Hopefully by cleaning the tube, the right tank will start draining equal to the left. Thanks for the advice.

KB3MMX, Bean Jr. and HaulinCars Thank this.
  8. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Did that work? I'm guessing that since we have not heard otherwise it did?

If your on the southeast US there is a bug called a "Dirt dober". They build a nest out of mud and frequently cause problems like clogging up vent holes and so forth...

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Gentlemanfarmer

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    Cleaning the breather tube did work as it was packed with mud from driving down a mud road a couple of weeks ago. On my last fueling I put 100 gallons in the right tank and 105 in the left, which is normal.

KB3MMX and HaulinCars Thank this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Good deal !!

11. RoadtoEmmaus

RoadtoEmmaus Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    This thread is old but I have some info that may help others.

I have a 2014 780 with a D13. I was having the same issue. Left tank (with fuel sender) was draining but very little was draining from the right tank.

I put in a new vent on top-about $30. Still same problem. I then blew air in with my mouth into the 1/4 inch plastic tube that runs down the side of the tank from the vent. Nothing.

Then I used my air hose connected to the trailer gladhand and shot some good pressure into the tube put it was coming back out in my direction. So I squeezed the tube really hard and shot air in and I heard a loud pop like a very loud fire cracker.

When I followed the tube, I ends behind a bracket mounted to the side o the tank. Held in by four 10mm bolts. When took it off, to my surprise there is an air filter there ;). The filter was so clogged that when I shot air into it, it just exploded open. I had a peterbilt for years and the tube just ran off the tank vent with no filter. I did not realize that Volvo puts air filters on the air vent tubes And they are pretty good ones too.

Each tank has one. about 20 bucks at the dealer.

What happens is that if you fuel alllllll the way to the top, the fuel expands and goes up the vent and into the tube then into the filter. The filter gets wet and picks up dust or even freezes in cold weather.

Crazy, its like trying to breathe through a straw that has a filter at the end of it. Part number is visible.
    filter1.jpg filter3.jpg

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.