Fuel tanks not equalizing , fuel guage stuck on full

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by jameson1985, Oct 4, 2014.

1. StrokeHerAce

StrokeHerAce Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2015
    SC
    Good information! We have had this problem on our truck at work for 10 years now and just leave the caps backed off 1/4 turn from fully seated to fix the problem. I think this will be a project for next week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. no love for a trucker

no love for a trucker Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    I do appreciate the response but we did find out the problem. What was occurring was the bunk heater fuel line which feeds into the fuel tank was corroded on the inside. So when the bunk heater was turned off after usage residue from the lining of the bunk heater fuel line would wash back into the fuel tank. This caused a clog in the fuel tanks transfer line thus making it were 1 tank would have fuel in it and the other 1 would be completely empty. This also affected the fuel gauge on the dash board, since the fuel level indicator is located in the left fuel tank and the fuel in the left tank couldn't transfer over to the fuel tank on the right due to the fuel tank transfer line being clogged by the bunk heater lining residue the gauge would always show as the truck being full.

I hope this helps.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  4. Happyfeet

Happyfeet Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Sioux Falls SD
    This was just the case with my truck. It's such a stupid design failure. I mean, the inside of these trucks are great, and the older Internationals are awesome trucks. But these new ones are plagued up the wazoo with dumb #### like this. It's a shame too because when everything works they are great trucks.

These would be great trucks if everything worked right.

5. Alexjesi

Alexjesi Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’m having that issue right now. Only my passenger side is getting empty. One problem I’m having that nobody else has mentioned is that when my driver side over fills, it starts to leak. I have fuel all over the back of my cab, trailer and tractor brakes. Getting it looked at now as we speak in Grand Junction Co. Realized the leak when going through the mountains of Utah on I-70 (scary ####). I would never have made it going to the mountains in Colorado. Let’s see what they tell me. I’ll keep you guys posted. I’m driving an 07 Volvo.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. Cascadia2015

Cascadia2015 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2019
    I having same problem the fuel tank is not equiallzing. Where is the fuel transfer line? How do I replace or clean it if there are fuel in the tank on the driver side? Pleased help

7. JuzNvrNo

JuzNvrNo Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    I am having same problem. The fuel gauge is on passenger side , it’s always fuel in it than driver side. Is the transfer pump cleanable?
    Ty

8. JuzNvrNo

JuzNvrNo Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    Ty very much. I have never used bunk heater. I am whoever owned it before might have. Any pics of what I need to clean ? Appreciate it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.