Fuel tax ? s

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by bzinger, Sep 6, 2017.

1. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Which IFTA App?

4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    If you pay your own IFTA are you looking at cheapest pump price after you factor the tax out? It does make a difference.

5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    image.png image.png As others have said you pay each states fuel tax per gallon burned in that state no matter where you buy your fuel, based on your trucks mpg generated by your IFTA report. Often your best savings are going to be in a state with higher fuel tax that is near the state border of a state with a much lower tax. Therefore the truck stop in the state with higher tax will not mark up the fuel as much to try and remain competitive. After you take the tax out of both states the state with the higher tax is often the cheaper fuel. It is hard to grasp at first, but with the Fuel Book app it is easier. My company files and pays fuel tax on the fleet as a whole, therefore I buy fuel that has the cheapest pump price with tax included. If they figured each truck seperatly I would buy it with tax taken out first.

I ran a sample trip from LA to Columbus Oh figuring both ways and you can see that the top several places to fuel changed. Sometimes the top places to fuel won't change depending on your route when factoring tax out.

nax Thanks this.
  6. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    The general rule of thumb is to try and purchase the cheapest fuel before tax. You are going to pay either at the pump or quarterly so the only thing that matters is the actual cost of fuel pre tax. The way the Ifta system is set up there is no way to "gain" the system. Just buy the cheapest fuel no matter what the pump price is.

dunchues and nax Thank this.
  7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Man your not kidding. Indiana is like touching a hot stove....you only do it once.

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. Rackpass 85

Rackpass 85 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seriously !!!! Your being bent over by your accountant find someone who knows what their or your sctewing up your fuel buyd!

9. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    so am I supposed to buy the cheapest less ifta price?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.