FUEL THEFT, IS THERE A BETTER LOCKING FUEL CAP?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ast26909, Aug 13, 2019.

1. as per my original or second comment down the line..
    this is what you have to watch out for just cuz you have a locking fuel cap see my finger??
    I woke up one morning to have fuel siphoned out of a tank and how because they simply loosen those..they never tightened it back up so I happened to notice it sort of dangling there and I put two and two together real quick....So the neck fillers the anti-siphon stuff in the locking cap still as useless when they loosen that little cap right there the fuel tank is completely exposed.. smh 20190815_123658_Film3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. why am I not surprised with those Savannah and Columbia ones??

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, I think a locking cap is about as far as one should go without risking more issues.

You could make a trap, but then you would probably be subject to legal issues. Maybe a camera to catch them in the act and let the authority have a go with it.

stolen fuel is bad, but stolen fuel and a tank that also needs repair/replacement is worse.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017

Be funny to have a dummy tank mixed with bad fuel just to screw the theif’s truck up. Have one 100 gal tank and a 50 tank with the 50 tank not actually wired to pump. Fill it with some diesel mixed with def (would it be obvious it’s bad fuel?) imagine if someone pumped that stuff in their tanks lol

7. locking cap is useless as I actually put up a picture showing where I had fuel siphoned out of and how easy access it is.. simple hex key open those things up

8. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Yeah it's rank. I bought the locking covers that slide over the cap. Won't help much if the truck is unattended but I just needed something to stop the slimeballs while I am in the truck. Unbelievable really. Lol

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Guy I once worked with bought a used truck from an individual. He notice a bilge pump mounted
    behind the sleeper. The truck owner freely admitted he used it to steal fuel and pump it directly into his tanks. He thought my friend would laugh and say something like, "Good idea, that'll save me a fortune in fuel." Instead he took the truck home and removed the bilge pump.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. where are used to park my truck came up to check on it
    what a wonderful POS pillar to society..

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Well, it is on a Volvo... :p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.