FUEL THEFT, IS THERE A BETTER LOCKING FUEL CAP?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ast26909, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    My tank doesn't have that, but the driver side does have a similar hole for the fuel sending unit. The screws for the sending unit are tough to remove, I just replace the sending unit so I know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    No doubt the authority will give the thief a ticket, or maybe give him a 'serious' talk about not stealing.

4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    In the UK they put a big pump and tank in a delivery van.
    Airjack with a sharp pin welded on in.
    Airjack sits in small tub.
    Tub is connected to pump.
    Less then 5 min all diesel is gone.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. not as hard with a good snap on or quality rachet.
    but yep those sending unit or other if have one render all the anti siphon, locking fuel caps and more useless if tanks have those

6. Slop0ke

Slop0ke Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Geez...I have the same caps! I paid $360 for the pair at Freightliner. The lock on one of them didnt last through this past winter. All the salt and sand from the roads clogged up the lock. Now you can open it up with any object that will fit in the slot. Sorry to hear about your loss. I guess if they're determined, they're gonna get it. This was a sad thread to read. SMH

7. no actually the first time it happened was on a Classic XL.
    back in the Bush recession when people are stealing fuel like a bunch of crooked M' fees and fuel was almost skyrocketing close to $5 a gallon...

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They just unbolted a cover plate and stuck in a hose?

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They just unbolted a cover plate and stuck in a hose?

10. nothing to it.. just simply four five screws one good snap-on tool ratchet will break that thing free each little one comes out..
    that time they never put it back they just let it sit there so I had to gently drive over cuz I just filled when I noticed it happened..
    sloshed fuel about a mile away to Home Depot went in there with the little cap found out the size it took metric size I'm and bought five simple little screws ratchet I'm right back in they were kind of a hex pattern it in myself...
    did it rain in the Home Depot parking lot the amazing thing at the time though I had anti-siphon shove down in the tanks I had locking fuel caps they were rendered useless once somebody knew how to take off those little vent exposes the tank right there so I'm have a sending unit on both sides some don't the bottom line is is just like opening up the fuel cap you got a hole right there you got access to the fuel...

by the way is there something wrong from where your posting is it lousy signal I notice you keep double posting every time? it's almost like hearing an echo lol

skellr Thanks this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, I was just making a cheap jab at Volvo. I don't remember the big plate on the fuel tank like that. I have seen plugs, which is practically the same thing, just another hole to get fuel from.

Yes, bad internet. In Wyoming with Verizon. I try to wait for the "progress bar" to quit doing its thing after I post. And wait, and wait, for my post to appear. Lol. I'm not too impatient and just mashing the button. :D
    IMG_20190819_184531.jpg

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.