Full synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by D16, Jul 27, 2007.

1. mwarrior

mwarrior Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2007
    All Over
    I havent seen Cummins recommend against Synthetic, hence the reason I asked for a link.

choo choo: Mixing is fine, however once you do that you lose the benefits of buying synthetic in the first place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Here's what I've been using:

[​IMG]

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    AMSOIL Series 3000 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil (HDD) delivers extraordinary lubrication in both diesel and gasoline engines found in commercial, fleet and personal vehicles. By combining the industry's premier synthetic technology with AMSOIL premium additives, AMSOIL HDD exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. It withstands the stress of higher heat, higher acid levels and excessive soot loading found in EGR equipped engines. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil consistently outperforms conventional and synthetic diesel oils for long-lasting performance and protection.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world's first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.

Extends Drain Intervals
    AMSOIL HDD can extend drain intervals far beyond those recommended for conventional oils. Its unique synthetic formulation and long drain additive system deliver the best possible engine protection, cleanliness and performance over extended drain intervals, reducing vehicle maintenance and waste oil disposal costs.

Maximizes Fuel Economy
    AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is energy efficient for reduced fuel costs. Its low viscosity minimizes "drag" associated with high viscosity oils, allowing the engine to operate more freely, maximizing power and fuel economy.

Unsurpassed Protection Against Engine Wear
    In the Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172B) AMSOIL HDD demonstrated better anti-wear performance than competitive petroleum and synthetic oils. Even under high temperatures and pressures, its superior film strength and anti-wear additives help prevent metal-to-metal contact. AMSOIL HDD reduces ring wear, cylinder bore polishing, oil consumption and valve train wear for improved engine life and lower maintenance costs.

Controls Soot Thickening and Wear
    AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is heavily fortified with detergent/dispersant additives and is naturally resistant to soot. It keeps soot particles suspended independently, preventing them from attaching together to form larger, wear-causing particles. Viscosity increase is minimized and soot related wear is controlled.

Reduces Oil Consumption and Emissions
    AMSOIL HDD loses only 6.7% of its mass to high temperature volatility (evaporation) in the NOACK test, outperforming all conventional oils. Because less oil vapor passes into the combustion chamber, oil consumption and emissions are reduced. Additionally, lower volatility helps AMSOIL HDD retain its viscosity after high temperature service for continued dependable protection and excellent fuel economy.

Excels in Extreme Temperatures
    AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil resists thermal (heat) breakdown, oxidation and sludge formation better than conventional oils. And unlike conventional petroleum oils, AMSOIL HDD contains no wax. It stays fluid down to -60°F for improved cold temperature oil flow, reduced bearing wear and easier starting.

4. Gazoo

Gazoo Resident Mental Patient

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    My truck will have a Synthetic upgrade upon acquisition. I am involved in auto racing and saw first hand the many benefits of a full syn.

#1: Oil Temperature was 20-30 degrees cooler using Synthetic.
    #2: 7-12 hp increase was seen as well.
    #3: Benefits at startup are priceless.

I was sold immediately.

5. FunnyFarm04

FunnyFarm04 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Oak Hills, California
    we recently changed our freightliner 60 series detroit over to Amsoil. My husband is very happy with the results so far. The truck is running smoother, cooler, stronger, and better mileage. Well worth the money, plus he wont be working on it as much changing oil! :yes2557:

6. plumkrazy

plumkrazy Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Burton, Mi.

Engine Oils and Additives
    Synthetic versus conventional, I bought an older truck the previous owner used Rotella t 15w40. Should I stay with this or go with a different oil? Or stay with rotella and put an additive with it? Then as I'm on the internet researching on engine oils to use, I am looking at another question to us an additive with the engine oil. Then I thought I'll ask the people that use it all day and night, day after day. So as an owner operator, mechanic or anyone who has an opinion on this please share it with us.

7. VARITHMS

VARITHMS Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    HOUSTON
  8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    I am a Schaffers kid through and through. Used schaffers looks better coming out than rotella does going in. Schaffers grease on the 5th wheel lasts for months and months. Not to mention their cold weather fuel additive. I get it by the gallon, and it costs about $10 to treat 200 gallons. About half of what it cost to buy powerservice off the shelf at the truck stop.

9. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Every test for many years has shown that good synthetics far outperform regular oil. Costs more. So does a better bottle of wine, car, etc. Depending on the age and mileage on your new engine one or the other will be better. If it has 800-million and you know it's not long before major rebuild I would stick w/Rotella and always do analyst. Same the other way. Low mileage, no leaks I would be on synthetic in a heartbeat. Would use it in rears and tranny too.

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I ran the Amsoil for a while, then I was on Schaeffer's. Compared to dino oils, I got a little more life out of the synthetics, but wear numbers weren't any better. I eventually started using a synthetic blend from a regional oil distributor and have had the best results. Most of the off the shelf blends are 25% or less synthetic in the blend. My supplier has their stuff done up with a 40% blend. I get it for around $9 a gallon total cost delivered to my home in a 55 gallon drum. The name brand synthetics are just not that cost effective for me. I have found that engines are like firearms. Some firearms just plain perform better on certain brand names of ammunition. Likewise, some engines do better on a particular brand of oil. Mine didn't do any better on the high end boutique synthetic oils.

In researching out what I ended up using, I found a lot of good information. Motiva is the largest supplier of base oil stocks in the world. They make the majority of base oil stocks for all the engine oils you see on a retail shelf. Infineum makes a large portion of the additive packages for the engine oils. My distributor uses these same suppliers and puts together their own particular oil concoction and charges far less than the labled plastic bottle brands.

Now when everyone else can get their synthetics down to $10 a gallon or less, I will reconsider. But since the performance has not been better for me than the current oil I use, I will probably just stick with what is working for me.

Paddletrucker and RAG Thank this.
  11. gharr8

gharr8 Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2009
    dfw, texas
    Call Amsoil tech line regarding any questions about running synthetic in any motor. sorry don't have the number to post. web site is www.amsoil.com

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.