Full synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by D16, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Like I stated, I would like to get feed back from the pros over at the BITOG site. They know the right questions to ask and best guesses as to what might have happened. You are offering some details, so feed the details to them and see what they determine. I am sure many here would like to know what might have caused the issues you bring up. It is one thing to state what happened, without some idea of why it happened, it really doesn't help anyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. serozhah

serozhah Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2013
    t sounds like Schaeffer's cut one too many corners on their oil mix for this experiment. I try to stay away from unethical companies like that. Im gonna switch to amsoil synthetic starting with my next oil change. amsoil sounds like a nice company. Im using right now walmarts mineral oil and I got 99 freightliner. hopefully, i'lpost some results after i try that. i've been keeping record of my mpg so far.

4. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Many folks, including myself, have used Schaeffer for a long time and never had any issues with any of the products. This whole "test" sounds a little spurious at best, even before any mention of the brand. The poor results were gone in to detail, with not real evidence to back it up or third hand verification. The brand was never mentioned until after I mentioned I was using Schaeffer, then all of a sudden it was a Schaeffer oil that caused all the problems. Me smells a troll.

5. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Schaeffers oil is good stuff. Grease & gear oils too. The only I never liked was the trans fluid in a Allison automatic. Shifted differently than the factory Castrol Transynd.

6. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    I posted this many times when this subject is brought up as a sales pitch for Schaeffers, weather the product is better now than it was, I have no knowledge because no one that saw the pieces after Bob ran it would ever come close to it.
    I might also add there was absolutely no increase in fuel mileage, These units kept extensive records, they could tell you how much was spent on rad caps per ton mile let alone fuel and oil usage after the inicial change.
    We saw many products introduced that were great, Nal-cool was one, these guys were willing to try things if it sounded right, these trucks ran 22 hours a day 5 days a week over exactly the same rought, some for the life of the unit so it was easy to figure what worked and what did not. We were in the engines regularly and did bearing roll-in's, they had extended warrenty so if there was a problem we fixed it. You got to know soon if a product was doing the job.
    Many of these threads about all these fancy oils are just sales pitches, I am now using Dello synthetic, in MY Duramax, and loader, it was on sale at wall-mart in Omak Washington.
    If you want everyone to agree what a great thing everything, and expect everyone to be bobble heads, then restrict the thread to Republicans.
    Just a thought!

7. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    I have nothing but good things to say about Schaeffer.......several owner/op friends who use it too.......we all use the engine oil, gear oil, grease, arctic fuel treatment, etc..........it's top shelf.

8. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    you really would have to do a statistical experiment to say if schaeffer is better or worse than other brands. Otherwise, it may be hard to tell. You probably didn't take the engine apart like JohnP3 of trucks running two different oils side by side.

9. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, Apache attack helicopters are not falling out of the sky, and Schaeffer was the oil company that developed the lubes for that bird. Same for the M1 Abrams. And the first Cummins engine documented to have gone over 1 million miles, on file with Cummins and Schaeffer, was filled with Schaeffer from the buyer's first oil change. Now these are not anecdotal statements but documented and you can look them up. I did the leg work a long time ago, so I am not going to go back a track down all the research again for anyone. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America has done it's own testing of both mineral and synthetics of a dozens of brands, including Schaeffer, and there is nothing to indicate that Schaeffer has any quality the would cause the issues that were mentioned. There had to be some other variable that skewed the results. Else, we would hear of this going on everywhere, and with the internet, once something goes viral, it is almost a virtual death sentence to any company. I have read hundreds of Schaeffer specific posts by both lay people and lubrication professionals over at the BITOG website, and surely someone would have brought up any problems if they existed with Schaeffer. Now, for sure, they did not all sing the praises of Schaeffer, many think it about average, but no one has had much of anything to say negative about the products.

I started out my present engine on Delo conventional for the first two oil changes, then over to Delo synthetic. Results were not that stellar, so gave the Schaeffer a try. The oil samples show better results over the Delo, in both wear metals and holding viscosity. I haven't really seen anything of mpg gains, but that was not my primary motivation. If it would have happened the Schaeffer gave me a mpg boost, that would have been icing on the cake. But I get very good results, at a price Wally World can't match for any major name brand product, it gets delivered free to me, and they also throw in free oil sample kits and analysis. Just makes good business sense. No one else is stepping up to make a similar offer.

SMTatham Thanks this.
  10. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    did you say Schaeffer who sells you oil also does your oil analysis? Well, i'm sure Schaeffer used different quality control for oil they sold to put into a military plane and oil they try to sell to general public.

11. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Not sure why the quality control would be any different. Unlike a lot of oil companies, every pail and drum has the name of the person who filled it. And I cannot see what Schaeffer would have to gain by differing quality control standards depending on the customer. And yes, I did say that Schaeffer does the oil analysis as well. Amsoil does the same thing if you use their oil sample kits. Every major oil company has internal oil sample analysis that one can use. Oil analysis and kits are available thru any oil brand distributer. Chevron, Mobil, you name the brand. Part of the deal for buying a drum of oil off of Schaeffer is free shipping to me and free oil sample kits and analysis. All of the major oil brands have oil analysis services. It makes sense. They want to see how their oils are doing in the real world.

One thing for certain, a company would not last since it's beginnings in 1839, it if was selling substandard products. And they sure wouldn't get an award a year or two ago, for being one of the top 500 most technologically advanced companies in the U.S., if they were putting out substandard products to customers. And unlike the negative experience claimed earlier about their fleet experience with Schaeffer, there are several fleets that are using Schaeffer as their in house bulk oil and have never experienced any negative issues.

This is why I don't take a lot of stock in what gets tossed around on a trucking forum about any particular oil, especially when there is no objective data analysis being offered to prove the point. Just anecdotal "evidence". As for the quality control, seems Schaeffer pays attention and makes good according to this thread...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2543253

And I scoured roughly 100 of the first web hits using "Schaeffer oil problems" as the search and came up with no negative hits. donuts.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.