Funny story.....almost bad....

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by earthbrown, Sep 1, 2007.

1. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    I was driving in the truck, southbound 481 just south of Fulton Ny. This is a 4lane divided highway.

I am cruising around 77mph, the trucks governor, and a northbound car is flashing his lights at me. So I slow as I crest the hill to 65, thinking it was warning me of a cop....

NOPE....

Bright lights, weaving up the road at me, I hit the brakes, and as I slow to maybe 20, the car is slowing, so I parked my rig across the road to block his path, was not that risky, as there was plenty of vision and no traffic....

White cadilac pulles up, stops, at the line near the median, I immediatly call 911, to report.

Give them the plate, and discription, car is still sitting, I move truck to shoulder, as I do I see a man slumped over in the driver seat. I park, and grab flashlight and the 3foot steel load-bar I carry, not relly knowing what to expect if the man is startled.

I walk up to the car cautiously, and he is sleeping, car in park.

SO I wait there 15 minutes for the cops, and the cop starts to wake him up, the man starts fumbling at the wheel, and I said, "Take the keys", the cop then took the keys out and set them on the roof, and proceeded to talk to the man.

cop "sir are you ok?"

man mumbling....

"Do you know where you are?"

man, "yeah Im here"

"do you know where here is?"

man "YEAH, right here..."

thats pretty much when I split, did not need nosy cops peering into my logbook, etc.

Another funny part, the man was dressed like "Larry the Cable Guy", which I found amusing and fitting....

K

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    I thought you were going to say "You alright Senator Kennedy?"

Seriously though, that wrong way on the interstate stuff is scary. I was in Florida years ago, around Melbourne and some really old geezer was tearing up the northbound hammer lane going southbound. He must have been doing 80, coming straight at me in my POS rental car. Scared the heck out of me.

I never heard about him on the news, so I guess they got him stopped.

4. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Last November I was heading to work about 6am on the narrow two-lane road that heads from my house the I-75. It was raining, pretty good down pour. I come across this car in the ditch. I figured he slid off the road with all the rain, visibility was pretty bad too. I stop and get out, he opens his door and the smell of alcohol about knocks me off my feet, even in this heavy rain. He is so wasted he can't put together a coherent sentence. I jump back in my truck and dial 911 and wait for the Sheriff's Dept. to get there before heading off to work.

I can't believe some people think they can operate a vehicle like this.

On another note, I heard a guy on the radio the other day talking about how two of the drivers at his company got busted for DUI at scalehouses in one month. WTF!!!!!:biggrin_2551: I halfway expect it from four wheelers, but truck drivers? These guys should be charged with attempted vehicular homocide or something!

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I guess it has been awhile for you. Go to a truckstop and you will see that most have beer for sale. Just watch from the lounge the number of people (drivers) that go and buy beer and take to their trucks. The scary part is that some buy the large cans, not six packs.

I have watched some drink on the way to their truck. A little later the truck is gone. They may have been the team member in the bunk, one can only hope.

6. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Wow! I have nothing against a beer or two before racking out in the bunk, but drinking and driving?:biggrin_2556:

7. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    most national carriers if they catch you with just an empty 'beer' can in your truck will 'can' (excuse the pun) you!! Dont see anything wrong with having a beer while at the Alamo in Reno and waiting til the next day when I-80 re-opens!!:biggrin_25513:

8. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I can understand that, you have to have a zero tolerance policy for everything anymore just to appease the insurance companies because of dumb ##### who pull stuff like this.

9. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I agree with you on this scenario.

10. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    <<In Super Trucker voice>>

I can drink all night and drive all day.

Lordy.

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Question,
    How many beers per mile do you get?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.