Future owner operator needing help

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Charlesismyname, Feb 14, 2018.

  1. Charlesismyname

    Charlesismyname Bobtail Member

    Feb 14, 2018
    Alright so I'm 20 with two years driving experience about to go to the wheat harvest and save up enough money to buy a truck and trailer and get a little more experience in. When I get back I'll be 21 (age is important because trucking companies and insurance companies and most everyone over 70 despises you) . I'm trying to either go hotshot/flatbed or semi/flatbed and I'm trying to find out everything I can about what I'll need as far as insurance what the state requires like my authority and dot numbers what extra bs I'll have to deal with from dot... If I should go hotshot or semi either one doesn't matter to me I've done both and I love both would prefer semi but I don't care until I get going and get my name out there enough that I get to choose. Also trying to find o/o lease companies that will hire me or if i need to which load boards I need to get on or if there's another way I don't know about... I've got a ton more questions but basically I'm just trying to learn everything I possibly can so give me what you got. oh and keep that crap outta here about being a lazy millennial!
  2. soloflyr

    soloflyr Medium Load Member

    Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    If I was going to do hotshot work I’d have a single axle class 7 tractor, preferably with a sleeper, rather than a one ton dually

    You can pick up a class 7 for the same or less money than what the dually will run you & it was built with work in mind, not weekend warrior pulling a travel trailer or boat.

    From what I’ve seen of the rates recently on a hotshot versus a class 7 or class 8 single axle truck, you’d just be spinning your wheels with a dually.

    It’s also been my experience that the DOT loves to pull a one ton hotshot setup over for inspection more than a class 7 or 8 rig.

    Most dually setups are going to have you run an electric over hydraulic brake system versus an air brake system, & that is a weak point in the one ton scenario, as well as a soft spot for DOT to hammer you on.

    As far as the insurance goes, seems most insurance companies are shy about covering anybody under 25. They’ll do it, but it will cost you quite a bit more.
    Oldironfan Thanks this.
  3. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.OOIDA.com is a business website for the owner-operator.

    Showroom Transport uses various sizes and classes of trucks. Maybe some drivers on here have worked there and can answer questions.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. fortycalglock

    fortycalglock Road Train Member

    Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Save your money! Forget about hotshot as the insurance is going to be the same price for hotshot or big truck. I know a guy that was in your shoes 7-8 years ago. He’s had his authority since he turned 21, and is pretty successful. He has a couple trucks now. Get your insurance through your local farming type insurance agent when you turn 21. Buy a truck and trailer cash, Network for some customers, hit the load boards (Truckstop or DAT) when you have to, and keep saving. Good luck, read double yellows thread about starting up.
    Oldironfan and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. Travisroland

    Travisroland Light Load Member

    Apr 2, 2015
    1st thing you do is go buy a brand new Kenworth and a new 53 ft spread.Then get yourself a monkey for the passenger set and name him BEAR
  • Draft saved Draft deleted