Future thrends = Automatics?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by DoctorDemento, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DoctorDemento

DoctorDemento Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Cary, NC
    As I research and look for a paying job (real estate has sucked for the past two years) :biggrin_2553: I have a strong desire to hit the open road. Which in my opinion matches my background of a) working independently in Civilian life and b) working independently in Military life; spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy 15 of which was in the submarine fleet as an Independent duty Hospital Corpsman (quack). Thus I am mental and being isolated is no big deal.

So hoping in a truck and getting the job done is just sounding like ummm I don't know ... NATURAL?

Anyhow now the point of this thread: In researching companies and asking questions about two that are heavy in the North Carolina area Transam and USxPress ... both being very heavy in a fleet of automatics. I have been told that the industry is headed to all automatics! Alledgedly for fuel economy. That one kind of made me scratch my head as I always thought standards were more fuel effecient.

Is it true that all fleets will be automatics??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Well I prefer a stick for the extra torque in the upper range of the gear, and I imagine most others do as well. If that's the case then automatics are much more fuel efficient. I don't think there are many good arguments in favor of the stick other than personal preference. So my guess would be that automatics will be standard.

4. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    for driver mills like USX and others its not fuel economy its just easy to not have to teach them how to double clutch and actually change gears...thus more students get hired as steering wheel holders

5. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Also when you only train a driver on a automatic, where else are they gonna go and work. The majority of trucks are manuals still. Think of the maintenance cost they are saving by just running a auto compared to a manual with a new driver. I personally would not like a auto, I have tried a couple and I'm just a big fan of rowing my own gears.

6. Hurryupandwait

Hurryupandwait Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada, Northern Ontario
    Have you seen what passes for a truck driver these days, a lot of them can't drive let alone shift gears lol, and no I don't think I'm the greatest truck driver in the world I'm not even the best truck driver in my family (my dad can drive circles around me) but I know how to shift my own gears.

7. DoctorDemento

DoctorDemento Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Cary, NC

There in lays the problem. If there are only a few companies out there currently with automatics I would think one would be severly lmited in advancing their career or income earning ability.

If the industry as a whole were to go totally automatic how many years would it take to do so? Anyone have a source that might be available to address that question.

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Sorry, but it ain't drivin if I ain't shiftin!:biggrin_25512:

Hurryupandwait Thanks this.
  9. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There is a very good article in the last issue of land line magazine
    You might be able to get it on line
    But in explains in depth why an automatic helps with fuel millage even with the added cost of the transmission

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The last truck I drove was an automatic. It had the worst shifting specs that were the result of the company. It lacked power and could not pick speed up. It would not downshift as smoothly as I would. It also tended to coast instead of the slow down effect you get with the manual.

11. Hurryupandwait

Hurryupandwait Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada, Northern Ontario
    I couldn't agree more:thumbup:

Lilbit Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.