Gaming for truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TROOPER to TRUCKER, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    My desktop at home is fairly mid-tier and totaled around $1500. If you want maximum performance you need more money. That said, spending $2000 just on the case is pants on head.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    excuse me how does one play Netflix?

was working on fallout4 last I was home

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    cause "no gaems". Also, how do you get the Xbone into the truck? Did it fit through the door in one piece?

5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    only.play at home

6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Gentry Arkansas
    my total build was around 1400 with tower. But im going back to a laptop... don't like my desktop in my truck xD

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I won't mention the " other " gaming consoles in the house

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I thought carefully about my system. I built it. It represents almost 20 years of learned building a few dozen systems, about half which were rebuilt over and over with fresh cases, parts fans etc. I have a closet and a green tote FULL of wires, fans etc. I can probably make 3 working computers just from the scrap laying on my shelf.

The current system is the best possible as of a few years ago with some limitations when you consider the 4 video cards used were MSI 4 gb/ 680 GTX series. They don't make these cards anymore but I bought three retail at 600 each and the 4th at 200 on ebay. That one is working on one of my computers used by the ex that I built for her. That machine is approaching 10 years service and is beginning to display certain issues associated with such a old system. So three of the video cards sit in the current machine under my desk.

The mother board is a Rampage Black Edition Extreme IV or something or other. I forget. The thing cost me 550 off newegg a couple of years ago. I scored a I73930 CPU for 450 off Amazon half the cost of retail at newegg. That went into the motherboard very nice. 6 core etc. The Thermaltake 360mm radiator has 6 server class delta fans push pull through so it maintains 40 in gaming, and about 34 C idle. More or less depending on the cooling I am pulling for my unit. I can get it down to 23C but I don't need to.

Power is off a 1350 watter, this one has to have a 2 CPU connection wires to that motherboard. Not very many power supplies were capable of supplying two individual CPU connections at once. It has more than enough power and wireing in modular form to feed everyting inside that Thor Case.

The case is cooled by three 200+mm fans And two further Delta Class server fans. And a ultra Kaze server class fan. To understand what these fans can do you must have grill gaurds on them without fail because it will chop your finger to the bone. They pull something like 5 amp each running.

The memory sticks is the old GSkill DDR 3 64 gigs total in 8 sticks. It is a standard Ras, refresh timings and so forth etc for that motherboard. Nothing too extreme. Bios stock timings on both clock CPU speed at 3.2 idle and 3.8 gaming. Capable of running close to 5 gig or higher if I had access to a 30 amp T plug. (There is one in my unit but I will have to transfer to another room to get to it. that one is supported by a 50 amp fuse)

The drives are my pride and joy. A pair of barracuda spinners two tera protect the computer, backup, video capture etc. Something like 4 tera total.

The real drives are a stack of Vertex 3 SSD's 6 in total. Retail at one time for them was 330 each. I bought 3 to start, bought three more new old stock at 70 dollars each a year later. I have 5 more vertex 3's in storage waiting for the next build that will have a motherboard that supports 10 or 12X SATA III connections.

All the SSD drives are running in raid 5. I use IRST Software to ride herd on the #### things. I have only had one SSD drive fail after two years. The rest of them are either 1 year, 2 year or 4 years or more and still doing well. They will pull a ATTO sector block 4K to 256K read at a average of roughly 1.5 mbits total speed. Read and write. It's a touch faster than what my current internet can feed it.

When I am gaming, I load first. Move first in any map on any west coast server. Everyone else loads after I do. In certain combat gaming, to be first loaded and moving first means victory. At least until the game company decides to patch in a time start clock for everyone when they finally wake up and realize that 4 infantry with super computers are moving across the map taking bases while 60 are still loading in with spinner drives.

The total for that monster under my desk ran about 6000 dollars. The next AND LAST machine I will ever build in my short lifespan (I am a dead man waiting to pass on.. maybe two years maybe 10 at most) will run almost 10,000 dollars. Unless pricing falls on certain componets. basically 128 or 256 gig of RAM magnetic memory, optical pathways for wiring, two radiators to cool. And two surge reserviors to support them. Basically fuildics and piping for cooling in battle. Probably two CPU's 10 to 14 SSD's stacked in RAID supported by a 4 5tb array raid backup on the desk corner. 20 Tb total in raid zero. So whatever happens in a decade as far as data is concerned is irrevelant. I will have the capacity to store it.

When I pass on, that machine is going to the local college to show IT students what is possible in a old time gaming computer done right.

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    That sure was a lot of jerking yourself off.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not anything near that. When you get to my age that's irrevelant.

If you can build it, do it better and tell me about it. Simply insulting with outmoded and tired insults that have no meaning to me is a path to the ignore list. Good day to you. Dumbkoft.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted