Gaming for truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TROOPER to TRUCKER, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    If you are a gamer, you will get significantly higher frames and longevity out of a 5700XT for $40 more. (or even cheaper from a 5600XT)
    Link -----> System Builder

Attached Files:

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I have been eye balling those but between driver issues and heat I'm on the fence. I hear new drivers came out , I'm gonna hit the YouTube see if anyone has reviewed the new drivers.

Dieselboss and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I used to build all my computers, but haven't built one since 2007 or so. (My first build was an XT in 1986.)

For now, I'm playing on a PS4 in the truck, but you guys are giving me the hunger. It looks like prices have dropped a LOT, and these selectors/pickers... very nice.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    honestly my current PC was my first build and I researched it and went lowest threshold to meet my needs. I probably don't have all the "benchmarks" and other testing exp others have. However, I think I built a #### good machine that has handled all the pirated...I mean purchased, games I play. (kidding on the pirating) It ran ME: Andromeda, Witcher 3, HBS Battletech, NFS: Payback. All flawlessly. My next one is just gonna be smaller and a bit meatier for my truck, but also portable enough to take with me.

Dieselboss and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Whoever made pcpartpicker is a godsend. It's not infallible, but it's a #### sight better than trying to build on Newegg or Amazon alone.

7. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Agreed 10,000%! :)

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Indeed!

I won't post their actual links here, but if those reading are really wanting to dig in and get the best performance per dollar, here are the things that help the most for performance benchmarks:

CPUBoss
    GPUBoss
    Userbenchmark

Then to buy:
    PCPartpicker
    Amazon
    Newegg
    B&H Photo

Read Amazon "reviews" with a grain of salt in 75% of cases. NewEgg reviews are slightly better.

PS - when you get it built, post your link from your best UserBenchmark result if you dare!

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  9. XenoLateralus

XenoLateralus Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2020
    This is a massive thread to backtrack through, and a lot of the stuff I've been redirected to on google hasn't been very recent. I get my CDL in a couple weeks and start with Stevens, and have been thinking about what I'm going to bring with me once my road training hours are done.

I plan on bringing my xbox and a small TV, mainly to play a little bit of single player every few nights to relax or during my reset. Definitely not looking to cut into my sleep too much.

But still, curious as to what people are doing nowadays in regards to phone hotspots/tethering/etc. I'm thinking about switching from Metro PCS for my Galaxy S8 to Verizon's unlimited plan with the hotspot. Do people think that'll be good enough for a couple games of Rocket League or Modern Warfare here and there?

10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I'm not OTR yet, I'm behind you a little for starting my CDL training. That said I am using Metro PCS $60 plan and pdanet+ to hide the tethering. As has been noted in the thread, though you must have missed it, lots of truck stops have wifi you can use when you are parked. If you're not doing anything sensitive like online banking or anything else with risk of being "sniffed" out. You won't need a VPN. I'd pay for a VPN if you are gonna use the truck stop wifi for banking...etc.

XenoLateralus Thanks this.
  11. XenoLateralus

XenoLateralus Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Interesting. Any reason why you use the $60 plan and not the standard unlimited $50 one if you use an app to hide the tethering? Just want to know if there would be a functional reason to me making the $10 upgrade.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.