Gaming for truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TROOPER to TRUCKER, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    because on the 40 you get throttled auto after so much, on the unlimited you are only throttled after I think like 30-50 gigs, and it is more like "may be slowed" Not "will be slowed"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Yes, you have done some homework there! The reference 5700 XT runs crazy-hot. AMD even came out and said they don't thermal throttle until 110C and that is unheard of. However, this uncovers a COMMON phenomena among GPU's where the reference is almost always vastly improved by the sub-vendors. For example, the Sapphire Nitro+ and the Powercolor Red Devil versions run dramatically cooler (and quieter) than the reference version. There is a really good YT video comparing all of them here

()

Even the smaller factor Sapphire Pulse with 2 fans runs cooler and quieter than the reference although not as cool as the 3 fans in most cases. The Gigabyte, the Sapphire + and the Powercolor all would not scare me as far as thermals. But yeah - GOOD catch on the reference board. It looks like AMD has acknowledges the drivers and that is rare.

danny23tx and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Yes that's one of my favorite Youtubers when it comes to specs and reviews. I have insurance renewal and Truck plates due this month , my current setup is a beast so I might wait for anymore upgrades or builds . Game on Truckers !

Dieselboss and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I use Tmobile unlimited data , throttle after 50 gig but still very usable. You might be able to go online for less demanding titles but most modern fps it doesn't cut it . I play single player games when on the road but honestly I'm mostly to tired for more than a couple hrs of gameplay. Luckily once I'm home the Wife is ok with me binge gaming for a couple days to get it out of my system lol

Dieselboss and XenoLateralus Thank this.
  6. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    you need to play HBS's Battletech if you get the time. It is turn based. Also if you do get it. Get all the DLCs and add the Mod BTA 3062 as well as the optional DLC Mods. I actually created all the custom flashpoint missions for that Mod. :D

skellr and danny23tx Thank this.
  7. XenoLateralus

XenoLateralus Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Curious as to whether you use the WiFi hotspot or if you tether the phone data directly to the console via USB?

8. danny23tx

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I use the phone as my Hot spot and use the data via wifi.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Since I finally got Monster Hunter working again I've been playing a bunch. Trying to kill the Anjanath with basic equipment and a great sword. I'm not great, but when you get one hit KO'd it can be a slog.
    Anybody else play the FF7 Remake demo?

10. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    personally I do the direct USB connection. I have one of the ones made for data, not just charging, and it is much better connection than using it as a wifi hotspot. Granted I can do either but the cord seems better. IMO

XenoLateralus Thanks this.
  11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    System Builder

Here's the build I've been running in the truck for the past few months. It's been great, aside from ongoing problems with the 5700XT under linux. Though that's been bandaided.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.