Garmin GPS truck routing

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Hopfrog, Oct 22, 2007.

1. TREE

TREE Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2010
    OHIO
    Thanks to all,great advice!
    I one of the guys that will need a gps and directions once i am am in the area from the receiveing drop off.

If i hadn't read this i would have looked stupid(more than i am already:biggrin_25524: ) looking for a correct gps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Woody13

Woody13 Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    The 465T has been doing a fairly good job for me if you accept that as a reference on which unit to put your money on. None of them IMO are going to be as perfect as we would like but with that being said, once you learn the quirks of GPS tecnology and it's limitations, this is about as good as your gonna get.... for now.

4. B.J.

B.J. Bobtail Member

May 14, 2010
    Watauga Tx
    I have the Garmin Nuvi 465, it shows and tells what lane, tells you the street it routes you around all tolls, tells you weigh stations, heavy traffic accidents, windy areas, curves hills, if your on non truck routes it will route you off of them, and yes they are expensive, and they are good tools to have but you cannot forget about low bridge clearances and weight regulations, ive had mine for awhile now and really like it.

5. imthemandawg

imthemandawg Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    overland park ks
    :biggrin_2551: Checkout the Garmin nuvi 465T, it was was made with truckers in mind,if anybody knows of a better gps please let us know.

6. oldman1973

oldman1973 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Macon,GA
    I tried the Miler 450 and the unit crashed even before I could use it. It lost all of the POIs so I sent it back. I then went with the Garmin 465t which has been almost great, it has stayed on the truck routes so far and has taken me to customers which my company had no directions for. Yes I would call but some places, like Chicago, talked so fast and gave directions like I was a resident and already knew the place. I still just use this unit as a tool due to some problems I have encountered, such as taking me around in a circle to the locations or having me take a wrong turn in Chicago on the interstate. But, I am so glad I had the unit at night when I can't see the critical sign and it shows me where to turn! Downside, I have a car TomTom which I used before the Garmin. TomTom as far as I know has not created a Truck GPS yet and that is a shame. TomTom has allowed me on it's internet site to download locations such as state scales, Truck Stops by name, WalMarts, and others. Bottom line, if TomTom makes a Truck GPS as good as the Garmin 465t buy it, the extras that TomTom has as to downloads is worth it, Garmin's site really has nothing to offer in this area. I take my TomTom with me just if I need a Walmart to stop at overnight! Bottom line, Garmin so far has kept me on truck routes and found places where no information was available.

7. Bear63

Bear63 Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Northern KY
    The Nuvi 465t is supposedly trucker specific(hence the t at the end). The rest of the line is for 4 wheelers. I've never used it so I can vouch for it's reliability.

8. Woody13

Woody13 Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I went through several 465T units and had problems. They would work for a day or a week and would lose part of the screen or shut down and not turn back on. Fatal defects.
    I tried other units only to be disapponted in them. The Cobra 7700 wasn't bad but it was like putting a small TV screen on your dashboard. Too much distraction.
    Finally I got another Garmin 465T and that was maybe three months ago. So far so good. It hasn't given me any trouble and except for a few round about directions and not getting me there by the most direct route, it has served me well.

9. dakota63031

dakota63031 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2011
    loxly alabama
    i have a goodyear truckers model,it works well even can do hands free calling though bluetooth phone book,files etc. it's worth looking at. load setings really help can store 50 load profiles.a bit pricy at 400.00 to 450.00

10. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    How reliable is the 465T? I keep reading about ALL brands with truck specific routing crashing. I like what the Rand McNally offers, but they seem to have a higher crash rate yet.

Have a Garmin Nuvi 350 (I think) from 2007 that fired up everyday, until my dog split the touch screen this afternoon. The Nuvi was not perfect, but it always worked, are the truck units worth the money or do they have too much junk stuffed inside that it kills the performance/reliability?

11. Choo Choo

Choo Choo Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    Alabama
    You can download just about any POI (Point of Interest) you want from POI Factory dot com. They have Garimn and Tom Tom files.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.