Gas hauling job in Phx, AZ

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Stepdecker, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Stepdecker

Stepdecker Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Hello everyone. I have 11 years of OTR pulling different types of trailers (step, flat, van, reefer) so it’s time to go local. I have spotless driving record. I want to haul gas locally or other tanker where you don’t have to sit for hours at the shipper or receiver and get paid by the hours. Now I’m curious I see a lot of ads hiring local drivers like pilot, loves, circle k, Keenan, etc so what’s the real pay can I expect? Also do these companies have seniority system like LTL companies which means do not expect good pay for the first couple years and descent schedule?
    Thanks for sharing info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I have a former coworker that works for Pilot and he loves the living #### out of it. The money is good, he gets free coffee and he always has a place to park. He’s based at a Pilot in mid Missouri and loads at the racks in KC and just goes back and forth. They slipseat the trucks and have 12 hour shifts. He works noon to midnight, and then the other driver works midnight to noon. I haven’t talked to him in a minute but used to be they had rotating days off. He would be off Monday/Tuesday one week, the next week it would be Tuesday/Wednesday and so on.
    A lot of other places yes do go by seniority from the little bit I’ve seen. So you might be on nights and weekends and holidays for a while and probably in unfavorable areas of the city.
    One thing he did make mention is snow and inclement weather are not a factor in if you’re working or not, because you are. I mean if it’s snowing 37 inches a second and stuff I’m sure that’s different but if it’s just flurrying around and the road is passable, you’re going. But you got a lot of experience with a spotless record so it sounds like you know what you’re doin. That’s all I got hope it helped even a little bit. Best of luck.

Flat Earth Trucker and Stepdecker Thank this.
  4. Stepdecker

Stepdecker Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Thank you for sharing info

motocross25 Thanks this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I had a lengthy conversation with a Pilot fuel hauler about a month ago. He does fill in work all over the country. So, they send him where they need him.
    Anyway, he seemed really happy working for Pilot being a fuel hauler and has been doing it numerous years. Don't remember what he said his wages are, but I remember it being really good. And, he said he is treated really well.

Stepdecker Thanks this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Stepdecker --

Current fuel hauler here, over in GA.

Starting out hauling fuel....expect to be asked to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

The better shifts usually go to the drivers with more seniority.

Also--depending on your personality, you may well find that slip-seating pretty much sucks (like I do). Especially if the driver you share a truck with is a slob (and mine is).

The pay ranges from pretty darn good, up to fantastic--depending on where you live (and the related overall cost of living).

Another major thing to consider is that when delivering fuel--you will be dealing up close with some of the general public (hint: idiot alert).

Avoid fuel jobs that pay "by the load"...and instead, look at those that pay by the hour. That way--you are paid for ALL OF YOUR TIME--whether you are moving, or not. Pilot and Love's are both good examples.

Given your level of experience and track record--you should have no trouble at all getting on with one of the private fleets, with hourly pay...should you (still) choose to do so.

There are numerous threads over in the tanker forum section that will further educate you on what to expect in the fuel world.

Hope this helps....

--Lual

Stepdecker and REO6205 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.