Gas tanker backing tests

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lonewolf2000, May 20, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I’m a new truck driver doing otr but once I get more experience I want haul gas. I reside in the NYC metro area and there are a number of companies that will take you with 2 years experience some just 1. I read an ad online for one company that said you must pass a backing test and I spoke to a driver at a local station from a different company that said they have you do a backing test and if you perform good on it they will take you with 1 year instead of 2.
    Now every company is different but has anyone had to perform a backing test for a fuel hauler and if so how hard is it and what’s involved. From what I understand from reading on here and talking to other guys is good backing skills are a must. Even though I just started truck driving I like to plan ahead. I’ve seen some tiny gas stations so I can see why you need to be good at backing. If anyone can offer insight it would be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Most of the time you pull in , drop cones and check in, then start sticking tanks and dropping fuel. Reverse on getting out. ( close and secure everything then paper work and go)the backing thing is for those stations that have there drops in weird spots( under canopy, parking area, or in one of my old ones , parallel with the drive way.So yea its important. I used to google map w/ sat view to figure out incoming/ outgoing route and where the drops were.

Njhandofdoom Thanks this.
  4. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Im sure it’s very strict. I see where some of those guys put those trucks and I say no thank you not for me.

5. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Nothing to it driver, backing a tanker is cake as the tandems are all the way to the rear, so no tail swing to worry about. With that said don't be in a rush when doing station work, set your cones, if unshure get out and look ,becase these cars will swoop in on you and you can't seem them. Out west we run truck and trailer setups so we rarely have to back and we have some god awfully tight stations.

Attached Files:

Rugerfan, Air Cooled and Lav-25 Thank this.
  6. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Was that a hassle only having a single compartment on the truck?

7. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    No I loved the tub, didn't have to mess with the hose once she was hooked and flowing.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If you're hauling a single product load a tub is the only way to go. Lots less work for the driver.
    A company I drove for had several that were dedicated to Jet-A or AvGas. The only split load those trucks hauled was 80/87 in one tank and 100LL in the other.

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    A Backing test shows the employer if you can back into tight stations. Being from New York you'll have to back into a lot of older stations. Some of the stations were the ones that first opened and they got their gas from a truck that had only one tank. I drove out in Las Vegas and never did I have to back into a station. But we drove Truck and Trailers and they track much better than a semi. Most companies that are hauling gasoline require 2 local experience years when you apply. But here's a hint- Apply for any job even if you do not have the special trucks or limited runs. Keep applying and update every month. That means you go in and talk with the big boss.

speedyk and Lav-25 Thank this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Don’t get caught hauling a mixed load of AvGas and auto gas.
    Ileagal as hell.
    We haul jet and AvGas from my terminal. Some backing at airports not much. But sometimes you have to go between aircraft, that can be kind of hairy not to mention expensive.

11. layover6

layover6 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Hey where is your bucket

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.