Gates brand water pump?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dlstruck, Jun 19, 2017.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I need a new water pump for my Detroit 12.7 and the dealer wants $650 for a rebuilt one. I looked up my VIN on the Gates decoder and the water pump that came up looks correct and is only $200. Comes with an 18 month, 150k mile warranty.

I know Gates is a trusted brand with cars but I haven't seen much of them on semi trucks. What do you guys think? Is it worth a try or should I stick to OEM? I do my own work so it's only a few hours of labor but I'm more worried about it failing me on the road somewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i had been buying Gates branded parts for years and years. i'd go with them. besides, they may have bought out another company and just switched names.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Personally I would try it. For the cost you could buy 2, keep the 2nd for a spare and still be $250 ahead.

Grubby and boneebone Thank this.
  5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Most OEM parts are Rebranded Parts made by Name Brand Companies to OEM Specifications and marked up 200%.

I highly doubt Freightliner has its own factory in Mexico that makes its own water pumps.

I would have no problem using a Gates Branded Product.

Grubby Thanks this.
  6. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Ok I got it, I'll see how it is. Found it on Amazon for $208 with free 2 day prime shipping. Can't beat that lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.