92 Peterbilt 377 Gauge Problems

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by 92Pete377, Dec 13, 2018.

1. 92Pete377

92Pete377 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    i have a 92 Peterbilt 377. It has a 12.7 Detroit in it. I have two gauges not working like they should. Water temp and oil temp. My main focus right now is on the water temp. I’ve been researching other forums hoping to give me some guidance. Hoping for any extra.

Here is what I know:

My fan will only come on in manual mode. I was curious as to if the gauge had something to do with that.

I have three different coolant sensors that I know of. I know one is for my fan control, one is for my temp gauge itself and I was wondering what the third was for. The third is on the right hand side of engine beside the sensor for the gauge. It’s closest to the firewall

Any help or guidance is much appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Those older trucks aren't multiplexed to the degree they are today. More than likely the 3rd temp sensor is for the engine ECM.

I'd look at fixing your gauge first. Your fan may be fine but you just aren't getting the engine hot enough for it to kick in. At least if the gauge works you can ballpark the coolant temperature to see if its actually hot enough to get the fan to kick in.

Did both gauges fail at the same time? If so I'd check things that are common to both gauges such as supply voltage to the gauge in the dash.

4. 92Pete377

92Pete377 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    I’m not sure honestly. I’ve just bought this truck and kinda learning as I go. I do have voltage at the back of gauges though.

5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Easy to test on our old engines. Pull the sensor and put a 10 dollar heat gun on the sensor. They get up to almost 600 degrees. Unfortunately for the oil sensor you have to weight till next oil change. I bought a new oil temp sensor regardless and hooked the wires up to it before I changed the oil. Low and behold with the heat gun, the temp gauge in dash went up pretty quick. So there you have it. Coolant temp sensor you can probably pull and not lose coolant. Or just plug the hole and test. Test the sensor in the thermostat housing

92Pete377 Thanks this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your third coolant sender will be for the high water temp light. Single wire normally open switch. Ground the wire should turn the light on to test the circuit to the light. Sender wont close til probably 230-240*.

lester, 92Pete377 and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. 92Pete377

92Pete377 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    I am sorry if this comes off as a stupid question but I just want to make sure I am understanding you? Can I apply heat with the gun while sensor is still in housing? Just apply head to the tip of it? If I do have to pull it how do you recommend plugging the hole?

8. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Not stupid. Yeah you gonna have to pull sensor. Shouldn’t be any pressure on cold engine. Just plug hole with shop towel twined up to size of hole. A little may weep out but it’s only gonna take you less than one minute with the key on to see if your gauge registers the heat

9. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    What I use to test temp sensors on the whole truck when I have a gauge not registering. Must the time it winds up being a ground wire. Turned out to be the sensor in oil pan for my oil temp gauge not registering
    1500 Watt Dual Temperature Heat Gun 572°/1112°

10. 92Pete377

92Pete377 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2018
    T
    Thanks a lot. I will try this tomorrow

11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    If you just have a single wire going to a temp sensor, which I think most do, take the wire off the sensor and with the wire disconnected your gauge should be all the way down. Then ground the wire and it should go all the way up. If not you have a wire or gauge problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

wore out and 92Pete377 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.