Gave 2 weeks notice, boss can't/won't get me home.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by row684, Oct 28, 2014.

1. row684

row684 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    So I've been driving 4 months otr and supposed to start a new job next week so I gave my 2 weeks in time to take a long weekend off with my family for a little vacation. Reminded the boss a few times that I needed to be home by this Thursday. I've been on the road almost 3 weeks now and have been sitting as many days as I have been moving which isn't anything new for me with this company and at 28 cpm it's not worth it for me to stay here.
    I am currently sitting in Houston, since Friday, supposed to pick up at Budweiser at 1800 and deliver to Oregon on the 2nd. I live in Utah on the way to Oregon and have asked him to find another driver to take it from Utah to the drop and he has ignored that request too.
    I am trying to leave on good terms as I always have; however i have no interest in taking it to Oregon. What are my options?

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You're finding out giving a 2 weeks notice means absolutely nothing in this industry.You have no choice but to deliver the load.Call your new employer and see if you can start at another date and as soon as you can take the greyhound home or rent a car if you have a lot of stuff.

Badmon and 88228822 Thank this.
  4. row684

row684 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    If that's the case I'd rather do that from Houston before I pick up the load. $200 for a plane ticket I could be home in 6 hours.

5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Load and go home .
    You have done what you can.
    If he wants to an idiot just play along until you get home and then he can figure it out from there .

You cannot control his behavior but you can yours.
    You did the right thing now it is his problem .
    He has plenty of warning to get you back home .

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    But what about the trk and trailer,you can't just leave it there,your company will get you for abandonment.Call your company 1 more time and tell them what you plan on doing.Believe me they'll figure something out quick.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Are you saving any/all correspondence with them? Where is the closest terminal or company place you can drop the truck off at close to your home? It sounds like you've covered your end of it. Who's your bosses boss or contact HR if they have one.

Good luck on the new job and who's the winner company you're leaving?

8. row684

row684 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Thats what my friends here at this company are telling me to do as well. It may come to this, however are their any legal/moral ramifications to taking a load and not completing this run?

9. row684

row684 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    I have most of it text messages. It's a small company only 12 trucks so the one and only is in Logan Ut where I live. My boss is the owner and no HR. It's crap pay, no miles, old equipment. Doubling my pay (considering the miles) and home time next week! Can't Wait! Less than 4000 miles in almost 3 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  10. row684

row684 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    no don't worry I won't leave it anywhere but the yard but I have no intention of leaving the yard on Thursday to head to Oregon unless someone convinces me otherwise that I have to.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    It's so wrong how companies do business with drivers.Drivers think they're doing the right thing by giving them a notice and companies don't honor their request they just ignore it.Then when the time draws near companies make it harder on the driver and comes up with some lame excuse we can't find a load home.Sad they don't appreciate the backbone of this industry.

Badmon, allniter and hal380 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.