General Mills stock is down 9.29% right now because of increased transportation expenses...

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by boredsocial, Mar 21, 2018.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Cheerios Maker Is the Latest Victim of U.S. Trucker Shortage
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...0.69i59j0l5.2606j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Trucking costs are at an all time high right now to the shippers. If you guys were wondering whether or not the ELD mandate was having a real effect outside our little world here it is. This is just the latest of several companies reporting significant impacts to the bottom line from increased shipping expenses.

Mark my words guys these companies have a lot more clout in Washington than the megas do. (the list is now at least Hershey, Tyson, Kellogg, and Walmart in addition to General Mills) There's a very good chance that new regulations will get rushed through for trucking before the end of the year to correct the problem. In the meantime keep your wheels turning and profit!

Brickwall and nax Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Washington wants higher costs. "What's the problem?" is how they would respond to this post. All the regulations they (government) imposes? These always increase costs to business and consumers. That's the purpose of today's big government. Why do you think this would be seen as a problem?

Freight rates and "truck shortages" always spike pre-spring before all the fair-weather drivers pull their trucks out of the barn.

Brickwall Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And to think I cut back on Cereal, specifically certain GM Brands that are a tad pricey these days....

I know all about GM, I used to haul their #### cereals out of Harrisburg. I got sick of it. (One of those door slamming wind gear mindless volume loads with no weight at all in a tractor with no balls to pull it worth a ####... (Don't get me started....)

I did however get picky about breakfast materiel and pricing at the store these last several months Ive made changes and reduced the cost so to speak. No wonder they are feeling it.

5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I just talked to the boss, rates are up yet again this week... Need to get my tail end in gear and finish up this truck. Waiting for it to warm up... Feels like 26* out there, and windy. At least it quit snowing. ;-)

6. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    It's not that simple. Washington exists to protect the interests of insiders over everyone else. The bigger and more powerful you are the better you'll be represented in Washington. The reality is that the megas snuck this elog change past the Chamber of Commerce without them really grasping the ramifications of it. Now they do. I'd be very surprised if this doesn't get changed.

drvrtech77, Brickwall and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I cannot see this lasting much longer, the rates we are now getting have to be taking a hit on the bottom line somewhere. $1,000 to go 70 miles is not out of line right now, which is great for me, but we all know this cannot continue.

8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    In case some of you dont know (or did not study economics)... here's a little tidbit to marinate on.

The current economy is steaming with inflation pressure. They economic policies signed off by Trump will have too much $$ chasing few(er) goods in the market - see @boredsocial post above - and as such prices will adjust upwards.

But Guess What??

They will blame this on trucker shortage & ELD.... for making consumer goods cost more (and hurting the middle class)

The percieved gains in wages will be wiped out by increase in prices.

9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    We aren't going to get blamed for inflation... But honestly the government probably should be for the Elogs change. The timing of it was hilariously bad too. Rates were plenty high this fall just from increased demand before they restricted supply.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The ELD's really through a wrench into things. GM is now ordering three trucks in some instances instead of just one, and they are paying out the nose. I have seen Chrysler doing the same. Getting expensive for these guys to get the parts to the plants. I don't know how much longer this will last. There will be blowback eventually.

11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I'm surprised it's lasted a quarter. I'd say the over/under is another 90 days. I'd take the over but still.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.