George Washington Bridge - 2 trucks (1 death) 6/12

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by VegasfanNJ, Jun 12, 2014.

1. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    The dumbest comment was ban trucks and just use trains, other guy responds how does stuff get from the train to the supermarket? Another woman states, "move all supermarkets next to railroad tracks" lol. These are the jerks we have to deal with on a daily basis. Next thing they'll complain about is the constant train delays at railroad crossings and that bikes should be used to transport a 2000lb pallet to the supermarket.

48Packard, Big_D409 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gitana

Gitana Light Load Member

May 23, 2012
    Kissimmee, FL
    Does anybody have any details about the companies/drivers involved?

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I had to go into the 5 boroughs yesterday. Ugh.

Not only was traffic tied up everywhere but the anti-truck attitude seems to be on the rise.

I was hourly so I wasn't too upset but I ended up out of hours and had to spend the night on the side of the road only an hour from my yard. No food all day, had 1 cup of coffee a slim jim and a bag of chips. Come to find out some "Cell-phone Rambo" was calling in my truck # as I was trying to get back to the truck stop before my truck shut down. Yeah I'm doing 70 in the left lane, why? Because there are two nimrods going 45 door to door in the right and center lane!

Of course they want to ban trucks now. And mandate things that (they don't even realize) are already around! (speed limiters and a way to shut off the truck after 14 hours) I'm ready to join the strike forum, or just drop loads in Vince Lombardi and tell people to come and get it. "Infosaur's house of come and git yo ####!"

Logistics is an odd business, this VIP load that I had to do yesterday? I deadheaded from PA to pickup in Kearny, to take to a cross-dock facility in Maspeth, NY for ultimate delivery for a trade show in Manhattan. Considering I couldn't take any tunnels this was kinda silly. Frankly They could have WALKED the load though the Lincoln tunnel with pallet jacks for less money & time!
    They've got me in the yard for a half day today, (punch out at 6am and come back at noon? eh whatever) 'cause I really don't feel like driving today. Not a truck anyway, I think I need to take the roadster out and find some back road with no traffic.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    how do you pick up that much speed leaving the tolll plaza?

6. Infosaur

More details here, there wasn't to much left of the 2nd truck. First responders actually had mistaken it for a Turnpike double.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/12/deadly-crash-on-george-washington-bridge-snarls-traffic-for-miles/

For all the obnoxious yuppies saying the driver should go to jail for inconveniencing them, don't worry, he's already dead.

Joao Daponta, 59, Hermann Leasing (possibly an owner/operator?) was driving the truck with the fridges and died.

Daryl Trucking, 63 (oh wait, that's the company not the driver's name) was taken to the hospital for minor injuries and according to some reports hysteria? I think he tried to get to Daponta. I don't think he's going to get back in a truck for a while. Psychological trauma.

7. Infosaur

Also the Weigh Stations in NJ close at night because the locals don't want the noise & pollution to bother them. So that's why there are no inspections after 6pm.

8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    There was some nasty pictures floating around on Facebook yesterday with the deceased driver still in the cab which is sick. If he was loaded and the first guy was pretty much stopped I don't think it would take to much speed to do that kind of damage on impact.

9. 54Trucker

54Trucker Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Does the sun ever come out anymore in NYC? What a mess, is it worth driving there? I wouldn't drive a car there, no less a big truck with no where to park.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  10. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    The comments were funny. I like the one where the guy said move all the stores to the railroad tracks.

11. Infosaur

Or cut our hours back to 40 hours a week.

Or make the trucks only 20'

Or less than 6000#'s

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.