Georgia teacher fired over confrontation with student that had a gun

Discussion in 'Other News' started by TheLoadOut, Mar 13, 2022.

1. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    The district initially fired him after the August 20, 2021 incident.

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. — An educator in Fulton County said he's in trouble with the district after he was forced to defend himself from a student that brought a gun to school.

Tri-Cities High School Coach Kenneth Miller said he was with police as they confronted the student, unaware that she had a firearm at the time on August 20, 2021. Miller said as they were speaking with her, she became aggressive and hit him with a stapler.

Law enforcement body camera video shows the moment when the student became frustrated and attacked the teacher. Miller is seen restraining her until officers step in.

Miller's lawyer said the student was taken into custody, and Miller was fired. The district eventually reversed its decision, deciding instead to suspend Miller for his actions.

Months later, the educator said he's still suspended and the district's actions are not enough.

"I don't feel like I did anything wrong," he said in an interview. "I only adhered to what Fulton County School Board Policy says you're allowed to do."

He said anyone in his situation outside of the classroom setting would have likely reacted the same way, adding that he was protecting himself within reason.

"Teachers get put in terribly dangerous situations and they have to be supported by the school systems that employ them," Miller's lawyer said. "Those teachers are our first line of defense against guns and other types of terrible violence that happens in schools."

In a statement, Fulton County Schools said this:

"The district administration does not support Mr. Miller’s actions relating to this event and believes his conduct failed to meet the professional expectations it has for employees. Mr. Miller inappropriately intervened in a student matter being handled by school administrators and law enforcement. Mr. Miller acted outside of the scope of his authority and responsibilities. Mr. Miller’s conduct resulted in an escalation of a physical altercation with a student in crisis, which conflicts with district expectations to deescalate in these types of situations. Mr. Miller has not exhausted his due process rights at this time and remains on full, paid administrative leave. The district will not engage Mr. Miller or his attorneys in a public debate on this matter, but instead will allow the facts to drive the outcome of any related decision."

JonJon78 and Boondock Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    He totally lost his temper. That wasn’t just restraining her. But I don’t blame him, should have knocked her dam teeth in

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Grouch, jsnell, JonJon78 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    He handled that thr wrong way. Every high school has a school resource officer. When the situation started to get tense, he should have called the law, or told her to leave. If she actually brandished the firearm I would more see his side, but they didn't know she had a firearm.

Boondock Thanks this.
  5. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Some of these kids nowadays have major attitude problems. And if you're a teacher that has the misfortune of having to deal with them daily it's only a matter of time before you lose your cool.

Grouch and JonJon78 Thank this.
  6. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    [QUOTE="bryan21384, post: 11871808, When the situation started to get tense, he should have called the law, or told her to leave. If she actually brandished the firearm I would more see his side, but they didn't know she had a firearm.[/QUOTE]
    She attacked him. I dont think " hang on a second, i need to summon help" would of helped. And being hit with a stapler cause severe injury.
    And what would she do if he got stapler away from, but not stopping her from reaching into her backpack....
    He did the right thing

Grouch, drvrtech77, JonJon78 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I see no problem. She took a shot at him. I don’t care if it was only to knock something out of his hand. How many of you older guys would have done that back in your day and got away with it???? That crap didn’t fly when I was in school and the same thing would have happened.

Kids get physical and violent today because we got soft and weak with them. Everyone wanted to take a less aggressive stance and worry about feelings and development and all that happened was we made them worse.

My kids don’t pull this crap and I have never had to get violent. It can be done without beating or threats. But the minute any kid would try this with me…..it’s game on.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    DannyB, Grouch, drvrtech77 and 6 others Thank this.
  8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    OMG Bryan, you must wear some thick blinders...

Anyhow I paged @ you to the political section on the Jesse Smollett thread yesterday. I needed a good laugh so wanted to see what you thought about his sentence. You never responded? Maybe today when you get a chance you could go there, I need some entertainment... :laughing-guffaw:

9. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well I guess my glasses that I wear are the blinders. It's just the way I interpreted the video. You gotta understand me as a man. When I get upset, I am not very reactionary. I stay pretty calm, and prefer to diffuse situations where they get outta hand.....but if you want my opinion on Jussie Smollett, I got you, but you may be disappointed about my feelings towards that situation. Lol

10. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    She attacked him. I dont think " hang on a second, i need to summon help" would of helped. And being hit with a stapler cause severe injury.
    And what would she do if he got stapler away from, but not stopping her from reaching into her backpack....
    He did the right thing[/QUOTE]

My point was......you have to be able to recognize a bad situation before it even gets to the point of attack. It should have never got to that point to begin with. Situations in that type of environment crescendo to the point of violence. Everyone gets caught up with the attack....my question is, how did they get to that point?

11. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Yes it changed a lot. Folks can't put their hands on other people's kids anymore. It sucks but it's the way it is....schools and the systems are too concerned with litigation these days, and it ain't a guarantee the teacher will win that case. That's why teachers......the adults in the situation.......have to diffuse situations before it even gets to that point. It was probably obvious that student was poking the bear and looking for a fight...and alas. The teacher gave it to her. He had the power to stop the situation before it even got to the that point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.